UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:20 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Smiths English Clocks Ltd

Found my fathers old bedside electric clock this morning in a storage trunk when I was looking for something else.
I've not run it up as I've no idea of the last time it ran as he died many years ago, and it's just got the 2 core wire with no colours either.
I was wondering what sort of age it was as I can't find anything specific to this model on the web.
The only markings are a patent number and and the word Sectric on the dial face and of course the make Smiths English Clocks Ltd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180403_113115.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	160452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180403_113134.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	160453  
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:17 pm   #2
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Smiths English Clocks Ltd

I have the same clock, bought from a car boot sale several years ago. It works but the time set knob is missing, which is a bit awkward. You have to start the clock when the time showing on the face is correct (this happens twice a day).

I identified the model name as my example has "NEW CALLBOY" printed on the base. I believe the Smiths New Callboy alarm clock was introduced in 1953. After 1955 the company changed their name from Smiths English Clocks Ltd to Smiths Clocks and Watches Ltd.

So, I reckon your clock was made between 1953 and 1955.

I've also seen the same clock in different coloured plastic cases, blue and green, as well as white.

Since it's an AC device, the wires in the mains lead can be connected either way round to live and neutral of the mains supply. Therefore, colour coded flex was considered unnecessary for electric clocks. Many electric clocks had that type of speaker wire mains cable until the 1970's, along with other small appliances like table lamps. If you want to try your clock, just connect one wire to live and the other wire to neutral of a mains plug.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 11:44 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Don't forget to start it!
Old 4th Apr 2018, 1:35 pm   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

It lives!
Plugged it in, and it ran with no problem for 10mins then I turned it off as I've no intention of using it long term.
It will go back in the trunk as a memento of past times.
As to the name of it, there is some writing on the base in red but it's just too faded to read.
Still amazes me a 65 year old clock ran after being put away for at least 40 years plus.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 5:52 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

The patent number relates to the buzzer and was accepted in 1945, consistent with a 1953-55 date.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 6:45 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It would probably benefit from a little oil on the motor and wheel bearings. The original lubrication will have dried out by now, and while they will run dry there will be a lot more wear. You only need a tiny amount.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 7:10 pm   #7
electronicskip
Nonode

Looks easy to take the back off and have a look.
I'm happy to do that if it means preserving it. and I've never actually had the back off an electric clock so will be interesting to see the inner workings.

Will post a pic when I do.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 7:47 pm   #8
paulsherwin

The mechanisms are tough as old boots and much easier to work on than a conventional mechanical clock, as they will tolerate lots of abuse and general cluelessness. There is just a synchronous motor and a number of reduction gears. The alarm mechanism is a complicating factor though.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 8:37 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

They are better run rather than being left as the oil tends to get sticky. It won't wear out|
Old 26th Apr 2018, 11:19 pm   #10
Andrew B
Heptode

Is it fitted with the luminous hands and dial? I believe they used a mildly radiocative paint.

Andrew
Old 28th Apr 2018, 2:24 pm   #11
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Is it fitted with the luminous hands and dial? I believe they used a mildly radiocative paint.
I have one of these in green which I've used as my bedside clock for years. It's very effective for reading the time during the dark but I'm a bit worried now as it's quite close to my head while I sleep.
Old 1st May 2018, 6:48 pm   #12
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Yes it has luminous hands and dial .
Closed Thread