UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2015, 12:17 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question 'Frako' Electrolytic Capacitors

These were used in Blaupunkt Car Stereos made in the 70s & 80s, and, in a Heidelberg SM21 I've found two to be completely short circuit, one the main smoothing capacitor C2000 (2200uf/16v), and a speaker coupling capacitor C1640 (1000uf). Because, IMHO, it's so rare for Electrolytic Capacitors to fail S/C, I intend to replace all 5 Frako Capacitors in the audio amplifier circuit.
Has anyone else had experience of these capacitors failing s/c?
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 12:48 pm   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: 'Frako' Electrolytic Capacitors

We had some "infant mortalities" with FRAKO electrolytics in the early 70s. IIRC, around 40% failure rate - that was in computer peripherals that we manufactured in Germany and the UK. It turned out to be a "grey" source, possibly rejects finding their way back into the marketplace.

Colin
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 2:17 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've had these go s/c in 1970s Grundig tellies too.
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 3:34 pm   #4
jjl
Octode

I've seen Frako electrolytics in Revox and I think B&O kit. I've never encountered a faulty Frako though.

John
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 5:27 pm   #5
camallison
Heptode

They were probably genuine 1st quality ones then.

Colin
Old 4th Jun 2015, 7:47 am   #6
tri-comp
Heptode

When I see a 'Frako' cap. it triggers my 'Kill on Sight' gene.

Must be a reason for that...

/tri-comp
Old 4th Jun 2015, 8:21 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

They were almost always used in Blaupunkt Car radios & Stereos in the 70s & 80s, and no doubt in their domestic audio, etc., too. The only markings on the one I've replaced from the SM21 are on the top '2200/16' 'FRAKO' (in caps!) 'N I' , & '+'. This, and all theothers in the stereo are axial gold coloured types, all of which I will replace. Looks like they, like the 'horrible Hunts', waxies, & Plessey red & yellow Electrolytics, fall into the 'replace on sight' category, but then I guess none of the above were expected to last 40 or 50 years!!
Closed Thread