UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2018, 5:31 pm   #21
David Church
Banned

Default Re: BVWTM Reopening Event Sunday 25th March

Cheers Mike - That's all good news then - couldn't be clearer

See you there; I shall be bringing Fred, he is really looking forward to it.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 6:45 pm   #22
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good afternoon,
Would love to visit here again. The last time was around 20 years ago!!

I would love to go to this event or other events held here though the driving through London gives me the collywobbles and has put me off somewhat !!

Oh well can't get to everything!

Christopher Capener
Old 24th Mar 2018, 7:19 pm   #23
YoungManGW
Hexode

Mike, thank-you for the detailed explanation of the position. There was no question of me "speculating as to how bad it must all be now". Instead, I acknowledged that things change, and praised the work of those forwarding the legacy. Granted, I did say that the feel can't be quite the same, but that's a simple fact. I will indeed try to find time to visit again.
Regards,
Richard
Old 24th Mar 2018, 8:12 pm   #24
marconi_pete
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
Just to make it clear for everyone.

When I set up the Charity in 2004 the ground floor of the house (only) and the access and all of the outbuildings were assigned to a lease for the purposes of housing the museum and its contents.
The upstairs of the house WAS NEVER part of the lease and this was Gerry's express wishes.

Although the whole house and outbuildings were filled with items and this was absolutely fine while Gerry was living there it was always known that we would have to vacate the upstairs part of the house.
It was discussed and agreed with Gerry that changes would need to be made and it was his wish that Eileen would have a permanent dwelling within 23 Rosendale Road if she chose to.

In 2004 the value of the house was such that on Gerry's passing there would be no death duties to be paid. However the changes in property values in London since then meant that there was no way out of paying a huge bill of nearly a quarter of a million.

Well the choices were simple, either develop the building in such a way that the huge bill could be paid from the proceeds or sell up!

Selling up would almost certainly meant the end of the museum as it was known forever.
There was no rich benefactor waving a cheque book to stomp up the death duties and so with the best interests of the museum and the collection in mind the development path was taken.

I should add that although the space in the house is no longer part of the museum, that almost all of the items in it have been housed into the outbuildings.

We demolished the old transformer shed, the valve lab and the other shed that housed the ITV transmitter as they had been patched up several times and really were at the end of their life. These were replaced lsat year with a bigger building making better use of the space which now houses a good deal of the collection.

It is planned that the old wood work shed that is now also at the point of 'end of life' due to rot and structural deterioration will be replaced with a new building that is much bigger and sited next to the new building of 2017 with direct covered walkway connection.
This will further increase the ground area of the museum.

Other changes have been made in the ground floor stores where redundant space has been turned into display space and the upstairs stores will shortly become the archive and component stores area.

What I want to say is simply, stop speculating as to how bad it must all be now and come and see for yourself. The collection is still there, money is being raised by museum events to continue to make the whole place a unique attraction and a many hundreds of hours are being given by the volunteers and Committee to ensure the museum survives with as much charm and atmosphere as it always had.

Now it was Gerry's wish that Eileen would one day live at 23 Rosendale Road if she chose to do so. Well this is now happening and so there is a continuation of the long history of the museum being kept alive.

The museum trust will get a new full 25 year lease from 2018 which is great news and further ensures the future of the collection and its home.

So, Why not make the trip tomorrow and COME AND SEE for yourself.
Support the museum events as this is really the only way that it can survive for everyone.

I will be on the BVWS tables as usual and I hope to see many of you there.

Mike...
Thanks for explaining the situation Mike. I will be attending. Thought I'd ask about wheelchair access, as I had an accident 7 years ago which left me paralysed from the waist down and use a wheelchair to get about. Haven't been there in close to 20 years now, so good to know it's still going and that the collection has been saved for years to come.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 24th Mar 2018, 9:52 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Unfortunately I can't attend but the clarification is indeed very useful. The changes mentioned were covered in a comprehensive article in the Bulletin some time ago but I recall being surprised that so much was being re-jigged.[Not everyone is even in the BVWS of course]. My instinct was to raise a query but there is always the possibility that there are other factors in play.The sad demise of the former IOW Radio museum is a good example of what happens without forward planning. I think that there was indeed a general awareness that a plan was in place but I suspect what was known to those with a responsibility for the future [led by Mike] might not have been fully understood by everyone, including myself. As Mike says, there is and it seems, always has been, another significant consideration to take into account by means of a comprise deal to guarantee an income . Unfortunate but there you are perhaps or maybe you're not. It's a very uncertain world. A chap I've met in Bexhill said he knew Mr Wells [like everybody else in the neighbourhood] and that he lived at the back of the Museum as a child. His bedroom widow looked out over a "forest" of sheds.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Mar 2018 at 10:00 pm.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 5:58 pm   #26
line sync
Heptode

Thank you mike for explaining the current situation regarding Gerry's house and collection.
I will try to visit the museum again when the new shed is completed and filled with radios and or televisions.
I would also like to say a big thank you to all the volunteers for all the hard work they've done and the work there going to do and if I lived nearer I would be helping too.
It's also great to hear the museum is safe for the next 25 years.
Robin
Old 25th Mar 2018, 8:02 pm   #27
Pamphonica
Nonode

Well, I thought it was very good all round today. The volunteers had worked miracles to get everything ready. Tea (and shortcake) was on tap on arrival, and some very welcome nibbles and sandwiches emerged later on.

I explored the new shed which certainly adds a lot of much needed room. And the rest of the collection seems be settling down with various bits in new homes. The TV room was lovely and warm, not surprisingly, with that friendly warm electronics smell in the air.

Gerry's workbench was alarmingly tidy, and may need a little window-dressing to restore it to a more believable state! I wondered if we could find his old stool or chair and put it back in place, with his white lab-coat over the back?

I bought a few bits and chatted to lots of people and had a lovely visit as usual.

The physical environment may have changed a little but the chat, the friendship and the fantastic display of radios, TVs and ancillary bits all around still provides an un-parallelled museum experience.

To those who haven't visited ever, or recently, do try to find time to come along soon. It's well worth it.

A huge thank you again to all those who made this re-opening possible.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 9:29 pm   #28
Jolly 7
Octode

We are just back from the museum and although our visit was short, it was most productive. The last time I visited the museum was four years ago and I was extremely lucky to have met Gerry then, who kindly gave me some old BVWTM bulletins to keep. I had just come back from a trip to Germany, where I bought a Heinrich Hertz commemorative coin. Gerry instantly recognised the face on the coin from his nose

Many thanks to Philip who gave us many interesting bits and pieces including a bunch of
vintage 22K resistors , possibly labelled in Gerry's handwriting. I will treasure those.

I also bought a nice-sounding Fidelity Rad19, which to my delight started playing when I switched it on. I would have hoped to see some transistor portables on display including the famous saucepan radio from the old museum.

All in all a very enjoyable day.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 9:46 pm   #29
hamid_1
Heptode

I went along and had a great time. I've previously visited when Gerry was still alive. I was a bit dismayed to hear about the loss of the house which previously formed part of the museum - that was an experience in itself. Thanks to Mike for explaining the situation and dispelling some of the rumours. We have to accept what has happened and move on.

Anyway, the majority of the collection lives on - and I was especially pleased to see a new TV room, with many working sets on display, including the heat and aroma! It was definitely worth a visit. I'd like to thank all the volunteers who have helped put the TV display together.

Here's a few pictures of the TV sets on display, plus Gerry's old test bench and a collection of vintage electric plugs in the museum. Some of those old plugs and lampholder adaptors were still in use in the museum, just like it used to be. I came away with a tray full of vintage electrical plugs, switches and bayonet lampholder adaptors like those in the picture, that the museum was disposing of in the table top sale, along with a Ferranti U1032 radio for a small donation to museum funds.

Marconi Pete: I think it was you who I was talking to about the pre-war Ever Ready portable radio in the table top sale - here is the advert for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	museumtvs1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	159935   Click image for larger version

Name:	museumtvs2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	159936   Click image for larger version

Name:	museumtvs3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	159937   Click image for larger version

Name:	museumplugs.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	159938   Click image for larger version

Name:	museumtestbench.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	159939  

Old 25th Mar 2018, 10:18 pm   #30
slidertogrid
Octode

I persuaded a couple of friends to come along for the day. It was a great visit! We had to leave by around 2pm as the drive home is a long one . in fact not too bad once we got out of London but boy has the traffic increased since I last visited 28 years ago!
I really enjoyed the T.V display there were some lovely sets on display. I had a chat with Mike while admiring some of the sets and he explained that some were struggling with the mains voltage which was a bit on the low side due to the load.
I really admired the dual standard GEC which is yet to be restored to working order. It was one of these That was my first colour set bought for £25 with a flat tube when I was 15 back in 1976 I would love to get another!
The radio display really brought back memories. I remember the first time I visited the display was mind blowing then and still very impressive now.
It was quite a sombre moment seeing Gerry's empty tidy bench..
I bought a few sets I didn't need.. mainly small ones! and a couple of bags of mixed components which I have just spent a couple of hours sorting and putting away....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180325_111659.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	159940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_111709.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	159941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_114052.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	159942   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_114139.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	159943   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_114254.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	159944  

Old 26th Mar 2018, 1:59 pm   #31
slidertogrid
Octode

A few more pictures...
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180325_122555.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	159973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_111757.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	159974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_111724.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	159975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_114400.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	159976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_114117.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	159977  

Old 26th Mar 2018, 7:26 pm   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It was a very special and excellent day at the museum yesterday. Meeting so many fellow enthusiasts will remain as a fond memory. Bargains were had by all, a little something to remind them of the re opening of the Museum at Rosendale Road. Gerry would have been delighted.

The 'portable room' will soon be up and ready for visitors. There is a very large number of models dating from around 1948-80. There is a lot going on!

Many thanks to everyone who managed to come along and the museum hopes to meet you all again soon.

Regards, John.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 1:47 am   #33
marconi_pete
Hexode

It was indeed an excellent day at the museum on Sunday. It was brilliant to see the collection again and I especially enjoyed the new tv room. Seeing Gerry's workshop again brought back some good memories too. I picked up a few sets while I was there and have already started recapping the Pre war Ever ready battery portable model 5214. Got a few more sets on the to do list and some more cans to restuff, so that should keep me busy for a while. A big thanks to Peter. B Dragonser, Phil, John, Mike and to hamid_1 too. Don't think I'd have ever got those sets to the car without your help. Many thanks for that advert too. Much appreciated. I'd also like to thank all the volunteers for making this possible. It was a throughly enjoyable experience and I'd recommend anyone who hasn't visited this wonderful museum yet to go and do so. Its an absolute must for any vintage radio and tv enthusiast. I still have a set to pick up as I couldn't get any more into the car on Sunday, so will pop by on Friday to collect. (Will call beforehand)

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited by marconi_pete; 27th Mar 2018 at 1:56 am.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 12:45 pm   #34
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
just to say that I did enjoy the event, and thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:00 pm   #35
Viewmaster
Hexode

Remember these?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (24).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	160455  
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:06 pm   #36
Cobaltblue

Yes Gerry converted what looked like a classic set into a production by teenagers.

I remember the same view with snow whites.

A nice shot

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread