UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2018, 11:10 am   #1
Ian Scott
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush SRG 91

I have a Bush SRG 91 radiogram that we bought over a year ago. After sourcing a new stylus it plays and sounds great.
However recently the record player isn't working all the time. The sound is really muffled.
The radio sounds as it should but the record player doesn't.
Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 7:20 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRG 91

Could be as simple as muck-n-fluff on the stylus.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Oct 2018, 9:38 am   #3
PsychMan
Octode

I would agree it sounds cartridge related from what you have said. Muck on the stylus should be visible if it is that, remove it with a small brush and brush the way a record would pass under it. The stylus may have worn out, if it was a cheap sapphire one they wont last very long. Could also be a bad cartridge, poor connections to the cartridge..

Has this had a significant overhaul by yourself or the previous owner? There could be other problems that are less apparent when listening to the radio, you say "sounds as it should". Something of this age will need to have some key parts replaced for it to work reliably for any length of time.

What cartridge is currently fitted to it? Some pictures would help if you don't know

Adam
Old 19th Oct 2018, 3:39 pm   #4
Ian Scott
Retired Dormant Member

I couldn't actually tell you what cartridges are in it.
As to having it looked over one of my friends who is a sound and TV technician looked at it. One of the speakers didn't work so he connected them both to the same unit.
Old 20th Oct 2018, 9:42 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Scott View Post
One of the speakers didnt work so he connected them both to the same unit.
Don't like the sound of that. If two have been connected in parallel to one output channel designed for one speaker, you could be stressing the output stage. Proper troubleshooting and repair of the amp is what is needed, not bodges.

Once that is sorted and therefore eliminated as a possible cause, it is likely a problem with the cartridge. Post a photo if possible. I think these came with a Ronette 105 crystal type which may have deteriorated. You could try a BSR SC12H ceramic in its place.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:24 am   #6
PsychMan
Octode

By the sounds of it, one amp channel didn’t work so both speakers were connected to one channel. That, or two channels to the same speaker. Either way is crap, I’m sorry, but there’s no other way to say it. So the answer to the question about the overhaul is No, it hasn’t had an overhaul.

This is a valved device and will need some key parts checking and replacing before it can go into regular use. If you’re handy you can do it yourself with guidance from here

For the cartridge if you post some pictures here someone can ID it. Personally, I wouldn’t consider using the radiogram much in its present state until it’s been looked at properly
Old 21st Oct 2018, 4:39 pm   #7
Croozer
Pentode

There may be more than one issue here; more info may help narrow the cause.
1. When you got the set did both speakers work?
2. Before the modification was made, did both speakers work with radio, but not with gramaphone? Or was the one speaker issue a problem for both radio and gramaphone?
3. Was the issue of distortion on gram. present before the modification was made?

The stereo amp. appears as a conventional ecc83 & 2×el84 with neg. feedback.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 11:38 am   #8
Ian Scott
Retired Dormant Member

Here is a picture of the cartridge. As with regards to having a service. Does anyone know a rough price and if anyone is in the scottish borders?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F72BFC6-2B08-4D29-96AE-CD0205D020F2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	171469   Click image for larger version

Name:	7339783E-F41F-40DA-A79D-44A4845DB5F4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	171470  
Old 24th Oct 2018, 12:36 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That looks like a Sonotone 8TA.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 1:58 pm   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

That cartridge is a Sonotone 8TA. They don't usually give much trouble, so I suspect the fault lies elsewhere, possibly caused by the connecting of the two channels, which is neither a repair or a service, it's a bodge!
Old 27th Oct 2018, 12:56 am   #11
ben
Dekatron

I've had the suspension go bad on those and the stylus doesn 't protrude far enough from the cart.. It's too hard to tell from the photo what the condition is though.
Closed Thread