UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2015, 6:10 pm   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default What type of capacitor is this?

Is this a ceramic single or multilayer type? Does 'M47' have any meaning? The application is a mid 70s power amplifier module and the board also has a standard round ceramic on it. Its counterpart on the second board is broken and I was wondering what to replace it with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56n.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	116949  
Old 14th Dec 2015, 6:14 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: What type of capacitor is this?

Can you check the value with a cap meter?
Old 14th Dec 2015, 7:50 pm   #3
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Yes I was intending to do that anyway because although it appears to be marked 56n, the only cap in the circuit with a value of 56 is a 56pf cap. My query though is more about whether the replacement needs to be a specific type bearing in mind that it forms part of the audio circuit?
Old 14th Dec 2015, 11:18 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

With any cap of 56 pF I would be using NPO
cheap and stable, Voltage should be OK as its sand and even if the module is a monster, wont be over 100 volts.

Joe
Old 16th Dec 2015, 11:01 am   #5
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Thanks. I will add a couple of 56pf NPO's to my next order. As you say, its not going to ever have over 100v applied to it. The max that could ever appear across it would be around 70v but its not likely to get anywhere near that in the signal path.

I haven't seen one like that before and just wondered what type it is. Given that this piece of equipment was at the time (circa 1975) apparently 'of advanced technological status' (as described in the makers marketing materials), I wondered whether this part might have been of a specific high quality type for audio purposes and perhaps ought to be replaced with something of equivalent grade to maintain the original audio quality.
Old 16th Dec 2015, 11:13 am   #6
Station X

Looks like a silvered mica cap to me. They used to be flat, but nowadays they have a sort of dog bone shape.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread