UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2015, 10:43 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Octode

Default Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is?

As to type?
It measures as circa 100nF (a sample of 5 give readings within ,mostly over, of 10% of this ) on my DVM. I first thought it might be tant, ,so I started looking for polarity markings, and only found a code, which I can't relate to the value. My only other thought is that this is a ceramic as on Express PCB, one of the PCB capacitor templates is for a .1uF ceramic capacitor ,and is as near as ?? the same in dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100nF CAP.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	116879  
Old 12th Dec 2015, 11:11 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Any suggestions

Shouldn't this be in the 'components' section?

I am pretty sure it is ceramic, I've used similar capacitors for decoupling on PCBs full of digital ICs.

What is the code? Is '104' an obvious part of it? '104' would be read like a resistor colour code but in picofarads -- that is 10*10^4 picofarads, so 0.1uF
Old 12th Dec 2015, 11:14 pm   #3
m0cemdave
Heptode

It looks like a Kemet MLCC type
Old 12th Dec 2015, 11:20 pm   #4
evingar
Octode

Definitely a ceramic - Tony is right, should have 104 on it if it's 100n.
Old 13th Dec 2015, 12:21 am   #5
Oldcodger
Octode

Thanks, folks .No markings on it to really ID the component. it came off a PCB, loaded with digital IC, so defo ,IMHO a decoupler. And Tony- I'd have posted it in "COMPONENTS", but I didn't see that section. Personally ,with no markings as to polarity, I'd have deemed it to be a 100nF,ceramic, the remarks on here suggest like wise. Thanks for the confirmation.

MODS- I'd suggest that it might be an idea to close this,as I now know the ID of the COMPONANT.

Last edited by Oldcodger; 13th Dec 2015 at 12:29 am.
Old 13th Dec 2015, 12:54 am   #6
joebog1
Heptode

I think its in fact whats called "monolithic ceramic" used extensively for power supply decoupling.

Joe
Old 13th Dec 2015, 1:30 am   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Axial ceramic. Probably X7R tempco/dielectric. There was a surge in using these because axial insertion machines were cheaper per part placed than radial inserters.

David
Old 14th Dec 2015, 12:01 am   #8
Oldcodger
Octode

Default Re: Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is?

OR, could it be that many years ago , there was a BIG problem with radial decouplers(the yellow square type), where the legs parted company from the body when soldered in .
Old 14th Dec 2015, 12:29 am   #9
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Any suggestions as to what type of capacitor this is?

I don't think so. We continued to use radial NP0 parts for time-constants, fllters and tuning jobs without any problems. The edict from on high was for bulk usage decouplers to go axial.
Still when were such edicts ever sane?

Some people were referred to as Corporate Seagulls. They flew high over everyone else, made a lot of noise and showered everyone in........

David