UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2015, 11:36 am   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Erie Ceramic Capacitor Information

Can anyone help, I have a few Erie 4700 M AL ceramic capacitors, I presume 4700 is 4700pf, I am unable to find the voltage rating, assume M AL must mean something. They are 13mm in diameter so quite large.
Many thanks
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04066.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	116610  
Old 8th Dec 2015, 12:30 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Erie Ceramic Capacitor Information

The ITT Electronic Services Yellow book specifies AL as K2600 dielectric, which is a high permittivity (Hi-K) dielectric. No hint of the working voltage though. M is +/- 20% tolerance.

A lot of old stock Hi-K ceramics read low when the capacitance is tested on a bridge.

They might be style 811 (15mm diameter in the catalogue), which are 500V dc rated

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 8th Dec 2015 at 12:57 pm.
Old 11th Dec 2015, 3:30 am   #3
FrankB
Heptode

500 WVDC ceramics.
I have drawers full of them here.
They didn't start reducing the voltage till, IIRC, mid 60's for the transistor radios, and even then they often used 500 WVDC caps in them.
Old 11th Dec 2015, 9:53 am   #4
jonnybear
Octode

Thank you both Ron & Frank for your replies, 500v will make them very useful, it seems that a lot of capacitors when purchased commercially from manufacturers of equipment, have little or no markings, making it difficult when they come on to the surplus market to know there working voltages and values, though values can be easily read with a capacitance meter, working voltages is a different mater.
John
Closed Thread