UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2018, 8:51 am   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Dansette Imperial Record Player

Just wondering if any one has any experience of or owned the above rp?
I have never come across one but I understand it has a decent amplifier.
Cheers
John
Old 10th Jun 2018, 10:00 am   #2
david freeman
Hexode

Default Re: Dansette Imperial Record Player

Hi John

The Dansette Imperial uses a similar push pull amplifier to the HiFi model, but with more modern styling.
The Imperial was introduced around 1965 and initially was made along side the HiFi, but rather more expensive, making it the top player in the Dansette range.
It has a 9 X 6 speaker, and a quoted output of 8 watts " undistorted".
The record changer is a BSR UA 15 SS3B with a TC8M mono cartridge.
The main difference between the Imperial and the HiFi, is that the Imperial has a "singalong" facility, which allows the connection of a microphone in order to let the user sing along(!) with the record playing.
Properly serviced, the Imperial should have excellent sound quality, worlds away from the more basic Dansette models.
It sold for around £33 in 1965, so not cheap at the time!
Old 10th Jun 2018, 10:17 am   #3
John10b
Nonode

Hi David
Thank you, lots of information, I shall be looking out for either models, I suppose they are as good as the Hackers, but again I’ve not tested either make or model.
Cheers
John
Old 10th Jun 2018, 11:24 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The "Imperial" looks almost identical to the earlier, twin-speaker "Monarch" model using the same case and controls layout. It's actually quite rare as not that many were made and was one of the last "high-end" Dansettes. It does sould very good. In terms of comparative sound quality, the Hacker GP42 it liable to sound better due to its larger speaker and very solid, heavy cabinet. Both use ECL86 Push-Pull amplfifers, although the Dansette's is an Ultra Linear design.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 12:09 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

I note that later Monarch models use Single ECL82 or ECL86 ?, when did they “downgrade the “Monarch”?
Cheers
John
Old 10th Jun 2018, 12:34 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

All the Dansette "Monarch" models used a single ECL82, but were rather special in that it used two 8" x 5" speakers - wherein an ECL86 amplifier would have been far better.
No other known record player used 2 such large speakers. They did not "downgrade" the Monarch as such. It was phased out when the similar looking "Imperial" replaced the "Hi Fi".
Old 10th Jun 2018, 1:29 pm   #7
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Edward, I misread your first post.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread