UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2018, 9:33 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Edison Bell Gramophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskie View Post
Is there any way I can test the pickup?
Connect it to a sensitive amplifier with a high input impedance, fit a needle and try playing an old, low-value 78 rpm record?

The pickup head may have rubber parts that have lost their elasticity and gone stiff, resulting in a thin, scratchy sound. These can be replaced with silicone rubber fuel tubing, which can be had cheaply and in various sizes from The Usual Place -- or maybe even a kindly forum member who had to buy more than they needed to do the same job already?
Old 8th Jun 2018, 10:18 pm   #22
bobskie
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Well, you might be able to test it with a Signal Tracer or a Microvolt Meter.
Do bear in mind this will be quite a difficult record player to sell - even when restored it will have no real provenance.
I'm sorry if I sound a bit downbeat, but might this be a project too far....maybe best to treat as a basic electronic learning experience.
I quite agree I'll have a hard time shifting it, just doing it for the fun and learning. I quite like it myself so don't mind it hanging around a while, I'll just need to find somewhere to keep it! No signal tracer or microvolt meter so I'll just need to cross my fingers and try it once the valves have been replaced.

Cameron
Old 8th Jun 2018, 10:45 pm   #23
bobskie
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskie View Post
Is there any way I can test the pickup?
Connect it to a sensitive amplifier with a high input impedance, fit a needle and try playing an old, low-value 78 rpm record?

The pickup head may have rubber parts that have lost their elasticity and gone stiff, resulting in a thin, scratchy sound. These can be replaced with silicone rubber fuel tubing, which can be had cheaply and in various sizes from The Usual Place -- or maybe even a kindly forum member who had to buy more than they needed to do the same job already?
For some reason posts keep not appearing for me until long after the last post. I can't see any rubber parts on the head but I'll need to have a closer look. Could I just connect to the phono on my amp? Not sure if these older heads would work ok. I have the chassis on my workbench now ready for repair, I spent the day tidying my workshop so I can actually do some work!
Old 8th Jun 2018, 11:26 pm   #24
bobskie
Hexode

Just had a thought, I'll just test the head on one of my radios gram sockets. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 1:12 pm   #25
peter_scott
Dekatron

You might find the most profitable route would be to convert it back to acoustic with parts from another scrap gramophone.
https://tinyurl.com/yaxyc6g6

The forum transport request system might work for the above.

Peter
Old 9th Jun 2018, 8:37 pm   #26
bobskie
Hexode

Thanks for that link, I'll try the FCS as I would prefer to get it back to original condition.

Cameron
Closed Thread