UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 5:56 am   #1
recordplayer
Pentode

Default Hacker Grenadier GP45

Hi , I am working on this player after a botch job by someone else - the 4000uf smoothing cap had failed so replaced that and given the deck a service . The problem now is low sound - the h.t. is correct and I have replaced the Acos GP104 cartridge with a good working GP104 . If I feed a radio into the sockets on the right and adjust the volume on the radio the sound is as it should be - loud and plenty bass and treble . If I feed the radio straight onto the pick-up tags on underneath the deck it's the same - it's not the cartridge or the pick-up arm wiring that's faulty - this leads me to think it's a fault on the pre-amp panel - any ideas ?
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 10:18 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Grenadier GP45

If you do not have the Service Sheet for this it can be downloaded from this site, see top RHS of this screen. From memory this unit uses 5 transisitors and I do not think there is a discrete pre-amp stage for the Acos ceramic cartridge. This cartridge would not normally need one. It still sounds like a wiring problem or oxidised connectors.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 10:56 am   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Surely if you're connecting the radio onto the tag strip under the deck, and that works ok, then the fault MUST be before there, i.e the cartridge? The pre-amp panel must come between the tag strip and the main amp. Are you sure you've connected the wires to the cartridge in the right positions?
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 11:14 am   #4
Station X

Won't a radio be giving far more output than a cartridge? The OP refers, I think, to adjusting the radio's volume control.

I'd have thought checking voltages in the preamp was the next logical step.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 1:14 pm   #5
recordplayer
Pentode

Yes I use a radio to feed a sound source into the pre-amp, because an MP3 player is a very low output and the radio is adjustable output wise by the volume control for testing. As I said I have fitted a known good GP104 with no tarnished connectors, and correctly and checked the pick-up arm wiring for shorts. Will check it again to be sure, but I think this is going to be a fault on the pre-amp board which unfortunately has been botched previously with poor soldering. Ideally I would like to swap the panel with another just to be certain the fault is on there as the customer doesn't want to spend a fortune on the repair !! If anyone has a good spare panel to lend that would be great - suppose it's worth a try asking !
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 1:40 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

By "Pre-Amp Board", do you must mean the transistor stage that preceeds the AF and Driver transistors. Surely this will serve all signal sources.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 7:24 am   #7
recordplayer
Pentode

The pre-amp board is the board with the volume , bass and treble controls - this then feeds the main amp module , I have the service info so I may have missed something - suppose its back to the workshop with a fresh mind !
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 8:58 am   #8
recordplayer
Pentode

Hi Edward , this is the pre-amp board - ideally I would like to change this to be sure the fault is on this loaded if anyone has a good working board I can borrow - then proceed from there , Tony .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	164009  
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:03 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Just for clarity, the GP 45 does have a separate tone control/preamplifier module. The extra gain provided is used to overcome the losses in a passive Baxandall tone control stack.

Whilst the main amp may well have enough gain for a ceramic cartridge direct, it's not done that way- the player is further upmarket than that!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:40 am   #10
mhennessy
Dekatron

The way to check the overall gain of the system is given in the manual - why not just do that rather than speculate?

You feed in 10mV at 1kHz to the RH Radio socket. With the volume control at max, bass and treble at their mid positions, you should have 10.2 volts at the output of the power amp. You'll want to replace the loudspeaker with a 15 ohm dummy load (or wear ear plugs!) while doing that.

As the sensitivity is so high, an MP3 player should have no problem developing enough voltage to drive it. Why don't you measure the voltage output of the MP3 player to establish this is the case?

If the overall gain is low, then is it the preamp or power amp? Hacker don't give a spec for the sensitivity of the power amp, but you can work out what it should be from the component values, and then measure it accordingly.

Finally, if the overall gain - via the radio input socket - does appear to be OK, then bear in mind that the radio input socket has contacts which allow the signal from the pickup to be interrupted by the incoming radio signal when the plug is inserted. These have to make good contact when there is no plug in the socket. Could these have tarnished? Based on the original post - where you say the radio is OK via the socket but quiet via the pick-up tags - this seems to be a strong possibility... Either that, or a short-circuit on the pre-radio socket wiring.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 11:00 am   #11
recordplayer
Pentode

Hi , I have already cleaned the radio / tape input sockets and no short there or open circuit circuit - will carry on fault finding and post outcome as I proceed
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 1:18 pm   #12
recordplayer
Pentode

Think this is going to be a no-go - the customer took it to an engineer whose charged him £87.50 and didn't cure the fault - I have advised him to ask him for his money back or tell him to repair it . As I give free estimates I can't spend any longer on this because basically I am trying to rectify someone else's botch job - the soldering work is appalling and he had already missed seeing the smoothing cap that was faulty !
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 3:09 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

I remember from my stint on the production line, wiring issues can produce completely illogical fault symptoms that just couldn't happen normally. Unravelling the "botch" could prove time consuming. You're probably right to disassociate yourself with it.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 5:16 pm   #14
mhennessy
Dekatron

It still could be something as simple as the Radio input socket. In case I wasn't clear enough, I'm referring to the contacts inside the socket that carry the signal through when there is no plug in the socket. This is the classic problem that affects the 3.5mm headphone sockets on Roberts/Hacker/others radios - though it can happen to any socket that contains switching contacts. It's the only logical explanation for the fault as described so far.

Cleaning the socket - to ensure a good connection between the socket and an inserted plug - might not be enough to cure a problem with the "normalling" contacts. Of course, a simple check with a multimeter is all it takes to check the contacts.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 5:35 pm   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This "botch job" situation really distresses me for a mix of reasons. The few side-street repair shops that are now left, are mainly run by general purpose, ex. TV engineers, struggling to make some kind of a living. "New-to-vinyl" customers are often being charged typically around £100 for very basic check overs. BTW, this is not a criticism of TV Engineers, but think about it, just who does a youngster with a faulty player take it to these days?
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 6:58 pm   #16
recordplayer
Pentode

I have already cleaned and metered the radio contacts as I said in my earlier post and I am aware that they give trouble as in the Hacker Cavaliers and Gondoliers - so those HAVE been eliminated - in fact I even shorted the switch out and got right into the contacts to clean them properly not just with switch cleaner - anyway thanks everyone for the input but this one will have to wait for a good preamp panel to swop over or its going back to the customer - time is money !
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 8:27 pm   #17
mhennessy
Dekatron

OK; I apologise if you feel I was stating the obvious, but I can only go on what you've written, and from that, it wasn't clear if you'd a) understood what I meant by the "normalling" contacts in the switch, and b) you'd specifically cleaned those in addition to a general clean.

It's a shame you're giving up, given that you've already changed that cap and serviced the deck. I'm sure it'll be easy to fix, and I for one would love to know what the fault is. Were you able to perform any of the measurements that I suggested in post #10?
Old 4th Jun 2018, 9:12 am   #18
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would not like to be beaten by this either, especially as the chance of sourcing a spare pre-amp board is highly unlikely, unless another player is (pointlessly) cannibalised.

I would want to go over every connection with a signal injector.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 9:01 am   #19
recordplayer
Pentode

Unfortunately there is only so much time I can spend on this due to hospital trips and family commitments and the amount the customer wants to spend on his limited budget so will hang on to it for a while - maybe a panel may turn up - who knows !
Old 7th Jun 2018, 10:01 am   #20
Michael Maurice

I think to be fair to both yourself and the customer, tell him you've gone as far as you can and that if he wants more diagnostic work carried out it will not be free of charge.

Looking quickly at the diagram, all sources go into the preamplifier at the same point save for the switching. ie there's no extra amplification for the pick up. Which leaves the sockets themselves, the pick up or the wiring. If the sockets are faulty then its unlikely to affect both channels in the same way

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread