UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2018, 4:51 pm   #1
skodajag
Pentode

Default Grundig 5050W/3D c1955

I've recently acquired one of these sets and am wondering if anyone else out there has one too. I have several questions about it, specifically the vhf band which is divided between UKW1 and UKW2 (via the panel keys, not the dial, which is the same for both). I'm wondering if it has something to do with alternative aerials - internal and external - since the 4035 has that facility. But the aerial connections on this set are also less than self evident. Any thoughts?
Old 28th Mar 2018, 5:15 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Grundig 5050W/3D c1955

I have one 5050w 3d and one 5040w 3d, the parts of the schematics below are easier to interpret from the 5040 (left) as its been marked more. I must admit this has never crossed my mind until now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	160135   Click image for larger version

Name:	5050.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	160136  
Old 28th Mar 2018, 5:36 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skodajag View Post
I've recently acquired one of these sets and am wondering if anyone else out there has one too. I have several questions about it, specifically the vhf band which is divided between UKW1 and UKW2 (via the panel keys, not the dial, which is the same for both). I'm wondering if it has something to do with alternative aerials - internal and external - since the 4035 has that facility. But the aerial connections on this set are also less than self evident. Any thoughts?
Two mechanical memories for UKW so far as I can make out.

Lawrence.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 6:19 pm   #4
skodajag
Pentode

You mean like a pre-set? The wave change is motor driven, but it has a facility I've not yet fully understood whereby changing the waveband takes you back to the previous tuned station.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 6:39 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I can make out the mechanism remembers the last station tuned, I don't know anymore about that but there's an article in the link below about the mechanism but it's in German, maybe someone who knows the language can translate:

http://85.144.192.2/nvhr/Grundig_4040W3D_rht.pdf

There's also a user manual in the same language for the 5050 W3D that can be found in this link:

https://www.vintageshifi.com/reperto.../Grundig-2.php

Not sure if the above links are aloud on the forum, if not then you'll have to Google.

Lawrence.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 8:02 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Just come across this which shows manual tuning of a station then followed by motor tuning to the same spot after changing between UK1/UK2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84R1fs8_5GY

And another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qHOexyhvo8

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 28th Mar 2018 at 8:27 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 9:09 am   #7
skodajag
Pentode

Thankyou Lawrence. That makes it clear. The motor tuning is primarily wave change only, but with this facility to also automatically retune to the last selected station. I've posted separately on motor tuning in post war sets.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 3:30 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

No problem.

The schematic and the switchery shown in the schematic can be a bit of a maize, don't know if your familiar with the switch tables etc shown on the schematic but if not then all the switch wiper positions are shown in the off position in both the switch tables shown, the switch contact numbers given in the circuit comprise of two numbers separated by a comma or a slash, those separated by a comma are the ones shown in the "untere platte" switch table and those separated by a slash are those shown in the "ober platte" switch table, the first number corresponds to the row number in the switch tables and the second number corresponds to the column number.

When a function is selected the switch wipers for that column in the "unter platte" table all move upwards by one position, the switch wipers for that same column in the "ober platte" table all move downwards one position, the switch wipers pertaining to a,b,c,d,e & f in the "ober platte" table all move to the right by one position when the ferrite rod antenna is switched into the circuit.

So far as I can gather, unusually an additive mixer is used for AM.

The FM IF path might look a bit to and fro but it's fairly conventional except to say that the AM mixer isn't used for FM IF amplification, instead, another valve is used which also serves as the RF amp for AM.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 3:55 pm   #9
skodajag
Pentode

Thanks again Lawrence. I still can't get the hang of the practice, let alone the theory. Looking at the YouTube video the two vhf buttons act as programme selectors - I had thought each selected the last tuned position for that button. But not so, at least on this set. Or rather, sometimes one of them works dutifully, while the other doesn't. There seems to a be a trick I'm missing....
Old 29th Mar 2018, 3:58 pm   #10
skodajag
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
I have one 5050w 3d and one 5040w 3d, the parts of the schematics below are easier to interpret from the 5040 (left) as its been marked more. I must admit this has never crossed my mind until now.
Do your two vhf buttons on the 5050 work as presets?