UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2018, 2:14 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default Ekco A277

Hello. I'm now the proud owner of GroovyG's Ekco A277.

It's a lovely set and Graham has done a lovely job on it so far. It sounds great and I listened to it for many hours last night.

However there are a few things I'd like to address which Graham did point out, which makes for a good project for me.

I notice the service data for sale here is Manufacturers Service Data and Traders Service Data.

Is the Manufacturers Data the one I should download?

Thanks.

Last edited by Sinewave; 28th Mar 2018 at 2:25 pm.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 2:24 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ekco A277

They will cover more or less the same ground, so it doesn't really matter. Actually, these sets are so easy to work on that you don't normally need service data.

A refurbishment tip: you can clean off the dirt from the speaker cutouts using some foaming cleaner, a paintbrush and some absorbent rag. The fabric is nylon so won't shrink or distort if you're careful. Just go gently.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 2:34 pm   #3
Sinewave
Octode

It's very clean already. One of the things I'd like to do is get the tuning eye working. Before buying a new valve I should check the grid voltage.

A bit of mains hum, so I'll probably scope the output of the smoothing caps to see if a replacement or another will be needed.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 6:17 pm   #4
coopzone
Hexode

Mains hum, on my a277 the hum starts before the set has warmed up. As soon as the power goes on, its the transformer. A daft design has two metal arms directly from the transformer to the from speaker baffle - a perfect resonator!

Just check if this is your issue before you waste a load of time on smoothing.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 7:26 pm   #5
paulsherwin

The choke in these sets only starts working as the valves warm up, so there is a bit of initial him which should quickly reduce to almost inaudible levels.
Closed Thread