UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2004, 11:37 am   #1
paolo
Heptode

Default Identification needed. Tellux ?

Hi everyone

Just new to this forum and I am hoping someone out there will be able to help. I have acquired a late 50s/early 60s record player which is the same model we had in our family when I was a child. Unfortunately, none of my siblings can remember the manufacturer and, believe it or not, the replacement I sourced through ebay also has no manufacturers information anywhere! Its got a standard BSR autochanger and is a 2 valve model (UY85 and UCL82). Does anyone recognise it?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paolo/mysteryset.jpg

Cosmetically its very similar to the orange Tellux model pictured here

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paolo/tellux.jpg

but the cabinet is different and the Tellux seems to be of a later vintage, perhaps mid 60s. I am hoping to get the manufacturer and model info to enable me to source the schematic.

And, just to be totally greedy in my first ever post, I am new to the world of restoration and am seeking some guidance as to a problem with said player. There is some mains hum, which is tolerable, but once the set has been on for an hour or so (ie gets warm), the sound quality degrades significantly. Should I suspect the electrolytic capacitor? I've swapped out the valves and that makes very little difference.

All help appreciated
Old 17th Nov 2004, 11:58 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help!  Identification needed

Hi Paolo. It looks like every other early 60s record player I've ever seen There are a few Aussie forum members now - maybe they will recognise it.

It sounds as if the player has 2 faults. Firstly, steady background hum is most likely caused by bad smoothing electrolytics. It's quite possible these are on the way out if they've never been changed. Secondly, the coupling capacitor feeding the pentode grid of the UCL82 is probably leaking once it gets warm.

If I were you I'd change all the capacitors - there won't be many in a simple amplifier like this.

HTH, Paul
Old 17th Nov 2004, 12:31 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Help! Identification needed

I would agree with Paul, change all the capacitors! It is worth pointing out that these simple players using " U " series valves have no mains isolation, deriving power from a tap on the gram motor. They are potentialy dangerous if you are inexperienced and the pickup leads can become live depending on the polarity of the mains connection! Take care. Check out this link, they may be able to help in identification:-

http://www.dansettes.co.uk/

Regards, Mick.
Old 17th Nov 2004, 12:36 pm   #4
paolo
Heptode

Thanks very much for your prompt responses so far! I doubt that my Aussie colleagues would be able to help though as the player is definitely British (as am I!), although I am now living in Australia. Trust me, paying to have this thing shipped from England to here was an exercise in devotion.

Its definitely not a dansette, nor any of the other major (or even minor) brands I've come across, and I've done more looking than I care to think of. I spent 4 years scouring ebay until this one popped up. Not knowing the brand was the primary obstacle in my search .

The Tellux model came up last year on ebay and my eyes lit up, however the casing is similar, yet different as you can see. The identical tone/volume/power controls lead me to believe that it is probably a Tellux, or a Tellux clone, however I have no way of figuring out the model Knowing the state of my parents finances at the time of purchase, I doubt that it is from a major manufacturer, probably purchased at Currys (doesn't look like a Spinney) or the Co-Op (although I don't think its a Defiant) or their 1960 equivalent.

As previously stated, the deck is a BSR and I'd date it as being about 1958-60. Incidentally, if you can tell me the model number of this monarch beauty, I'd be grateful as I am also keen to source a spare idler wheel, just in case! Its here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paolo/monarch.jpg

The player has been 'almost restored', ie a new cartridge and mains flex, regreasing etc but I am just wanting to ensure that it works as well as it should. If there's any other information I can give that may help with identification, I am more than happy to do so.

I'll just hope and pray that it rings a bell with someone
Old 17th Nov 2004, 1:10 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I can confirm that it is a UA14 deck - these are about 1961-63. Idler is the same, IIRC, on UA12-16
HTH
Old 17th Nov 2004, 7:08 pm   #6
coherers

Default Re: Help! *Identification needed

Quote:
I picked up the UA8 and UA16 data through the service data by email service but there's no listing for a 14
The UA14 data is covered in the 1961-62 volume of Radio and Television Servicing.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th May 2007 at 5:32 pm. Reason: Only useful info retained.

Closed Thread