UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2014, 11:59 pm   #1
Dourness
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1970s White...what should it be?

Hi folks,

I'm currently restoring a 1970s Dynatron HFC 36 for my daughter. The case is (or, rather, was) white but it's been badly stained with nicotine, water and other unidentifiable muck. The paint has decomposed so it is powdery and any cleaning just strips what's left.

It's simply just too mucky to leave as patina so we've decided on a light sand and respray. She likes her vintage and things to feel just right so would prefer an 'authentic' white, and I like that idea. But I'm struggling to work out what it should be. I'm pretty sure a 1970s white isn't a contemporary 'brilliant white', nor that grey/blue tint in 'paper-white', nor is it that creamy 'Old English White'. I'm not even sure how glossy it should be - the paint has decomposed to matt but I would have thought it would have had some gloss originally. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Or am I just being too finicky?

Best,

Geoff
Old 14th Jan 2014, 12:21 am   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: 1970s White...what should it be?

'Antique White' aerosols are widely available - some are just 'off white' - others are almost cream.

Google "ANTIQUE WHITE GLOSS Fast Dry Rustoleum Spray Paint Aerosol 400ml" for an example of what's available.

Hope that helps.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 3:36 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Memory tells me they were a pretty uncompromising white, with indeed some element of gloss - http://audiogold.co.uk/wp-content/up...ldringGL75.jpg is the only photo of a white '70s Dynatron music centre I found online just now, and its quite stark white agrees with what I remember of them. Then, just about any forty year old white paint finish will have yellowed to some visible extent by now, and the paper and dyes in catalogues will have changed - without an original specification for the paint it's impossible to know exactly how it would have looked, and even debatable whether you'd want to reproduce that in any case. It's a question that divides restorers, whether the ideal end is an item looking as though it's just left the factory, or as though it's spent its however many years in a careful and smoke-free home environment. I certainly lean toward the latter myself, but mostly by way of being minimal in active restoration, I'm not so sure I would deliberately pick a shade of paint to try to simulate the effect of the passing years.

Just some thoughts which may or may not help at all. I think these music centres when new were as stark a white as http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg - http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...0f382228fa.jpg shows a Murphy TV of the period, which I'd guess would have been a good visual match.

Paul
Old 14th Jan 2014, 4:06 am   #4
lastx33
Retired Dormant Member

If it was a stark white then something like RAL 9010 may have been the original shade.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 9:57 am   #5
ex seismic
Heptode

In the 1970s BMC cars followed Old English White with Glacier White. Think MGB GTs, lots of white ones around, including mine. Still available in aerosol cans although maybe not in Halfords. Try MG Owners Club if stuck.

Gordon
Old 14th Jan 2014, 4:04 pm   #6
fetteler
Octode

HI Geoff,
I don't tink you are being too finiky at all
Things were bright in the '70s... I'd go for a clean bright pure white with an egshell (satin) finish, that won't be too far away from authentic if my mind serves me!

Good luck with this - how about a pic when you're done

Steve.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 5:41 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Ford did Ermine white, it was whiter than BMC old english.

But beware, car paint can react badly to other paints and produce bubbles and crackle.

David
Old 15th Jan 2014, 8:59 pm   #8
ReelToReel
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Geoff,

I resprayed some Wharfdale speakers that had a 70,s look to them and used Ford Diamond white over light grey undercoat .

Cheers Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whaf white 3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	87864  
Old 16th Jan 2014, 12:40 am   #9
fetteler
Octode

Yea Yea Yea!!!! Well done.

They look great - just as I remember them

Steve.