UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2017, 8:37 am   #1
prajan
Pentode

Default Mullard 12 band radio set MAS231

Dear Members

I want to know the arrangement for the fixing of the dial for the radio set Mullard MAS231. Is the dial fixed to the cabinet or the chasis? At The front of the dial cord and the band indication cord plate a wooden plank gets fixed over which the pointer moves. If the dial is fixed over this wooden plank there should be some gap for the pointer and the band indication pointer to move freely. This I am unable to understand. When I got the radio set somebody had removed the dial and kept it separately. So may be some mounting parts are missing?

Regards
P.Rajan
Old 1st Apr 2017, 2:19 pm   #2
GeoffK
Heptode

Default Re: Mullard 12 band radio set MAS231

Is this any use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mas_231.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	140239  
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 4:51 am   #3
prajan
Pentode

Dear sir
Thanks your reply. But this photo is of not of much use. A photo from the front showing the fixing arrangement for the dial would have helped.

Thanks
P.rajan
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 10:14 am   #4
GeoffK
Heptode

If you posted some pictures of what you have then it might be possible for someone to work it out.
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 3:03 pm   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

If you can hold on for a day or so I think I have one of these in the loft , this will give me a reason to get it down and restore it. Mick.
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 3:23 pm   #6
prajan
Pentode

Dear Sir
I am attaching three photos. The first one shows the metal dial cord plate (front view), The wooden plank and the Dial. The second photo shows the wooden plank kept above the metal plate and is fixed to this plate with screws from the back. The third photo shows the dial over this wooden plank. In the first photo you can see the four small mounting plates with screws ( Two at the top and two at the bottom). But this is not sufficient to mount the dial because some gap should be there between the wooden plank and the dial for the main pointer and the band indication pointer to move freely. I feel some components are missing which should be there to maintain this gap.
Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards
P.Rajan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010914.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	140314   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010915.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	140315   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010913.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	140318  
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 5:31 am   #7
Synchrodyne
Nonode

I understand that the Mullard MAS231 is the same receiver as the Philips 681A.

The manufacturer’s service data for the Philips 681A is available from this site (UKVRRR), see: http://www.service-data.com/section.php/5911/1/681a. This might assist.

Perhaps also of some help might be the information here: http://www.radiomuseum.co.uk/681a.html.

Cheers,
Closed Thread