UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2018, 6:47 pm   #1
nickcoffer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard AT6 - motor jammed (it appears!)

Good evening everyone,

I am so happy to have found this forum and wonder if any of you can help please.

Last week, I bought a wonderful Bang and Olufsen Beomaster unit at auction (only £85, I was really happy). It comes with a tuner, which works immaculately, two beautiful speakers, and a Gerrard AT6 deck. I believe it to be around 1966/1967.

The deck 'appears' to be dead. Nothing happens at all when turning it on. However, I have taken the housing unit apart and have been able to ascertain that the motor is indeed hot when the unit is powered up. This has at least shown me that electricity is reaching the motor.

However, beyond that, nothing is happening. There are no noises whatsoever.

I have read elsewhere about Garrard motors getting gunked up. Is that a possibility here? Does it sound possibly reparable?!

Any help and advice would be so appreciated. It is such a gorgeous unit and I am desperate to hear vinyl through it. I am a radio presenter by trade and a music nut!

I am happy to post photos if it would help.

Thank you very much indeed for any insight you could provide.

All the best,

Nick
Old 29th May 2018, 7:14 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Gerrard AT6 - motor jammed (it appears!)

Best to take the platter off and check that the motor spindle is revolving. Just remove the circlip (make sure it does not fly off and get lost) at the base of the spindle and ease/lift it off. You need to touch the spindle as you're unlikely to see it spinning. By the way it's a Garrard AT6, a good turntable. Let us know how you get on.
Old 30th May 2018, 10:38 pm   #3
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Default Re: Garrard AT6 - motor jammed (it appears!)

I think now that ALL Garrards of this era and newer need a darned good service now and freeing off the motor is only the start of it I fear. Lots here and on Vinyl Engine regarding restoring these old decks. The AT6 can perform well if properly fettled.

Dave
Closed Thread