UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2021, 10:48 pm   #1
Triple M
Triode

Default Mobile Amateur rigs of the 1930'/40's

Interested in any information (pic's, descriptions, schematics of installations etc) on amateur mobile rigs used in the 1930/40 in cars of the period.
I have a prewar car and would like to install a period mobile setup (I know they were about as I have a very grainy picture of a 1930 MG Mtype with base loaded antenna, believed to be for 60 or 80m and a "radio club" badge with call sign on the badge-bar in front of the radiator)
I'd be very keen to obtain any equipment, operational or US if you think it may have been of the period

Let me know as I'm interested to find out as much as I can, before all the knowledge and experience finally disappears..

Glenn G0HPS
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:56 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: "Mobile Amateur rigs of the 1930'/40's" by Triple M - reported by Cobaltblue

There may be material in the pre-war editions of the RSGB and RRL handbooks that could shed some light on the 1930s.

By the 1940s things were dominated by the war. A lot of useful gear didn't become available on the ear surplus market until the 1950s.

Commercial equipment for stationary use was far too big for mobile use, certainly in a small car.

By the 1950s there were articles in both RSGB and ARRL magazines on building custom mobile stations. THese used wartime-developed parts rather extensively. This may be your best option.

David
Old 19th Jan 2021, 10:24 am   #3
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Mobile Amateur rigs of the 1930'/40's

Hi Glenn,

You could start with a search in the RSGB "T & R Bulletin", the ancestor of Radcom, available on CD-ROM.

You may already know but scans of a lot of magazines, from USA, UK and overseas, are stored here:-

https://worldradiohistory.com/

I think that Wireless World would also be a good source as well as Practical Wireless, both of which are on that site.

Would be interested to hear what you find.

Roger/G3VKM

PS; I did some research a while ago on the American Harvey-Wells UHX-10 transmitter which was sold pre-war in the UK for HF fixed or mobile operation, I have the details of that radio being used mobile on 28MHz if it's of use.

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 19th Jan 2021 at 10:29 am. Reason: Add
Old 20th Jan 2021, 12:38 am   #4
Triple M
Triode

Thanks both, and yes details on the 28mhz setup would be interesting to see please

Glenn
Old 20th Jan 2021, 8:20 am   #5
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
Thanks both, and yes details on the 28mhz setup would be interesting to see please

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

The attached scans came from an article in a 1937 edition of QST magazine.

I came across the UHX-10 when I was looking for information on American amateur radio equipment which had been available to UK amateurs in the run up to WW2. The UHX-10 fits the bill as a mobile transmitter as it has optionable DC power supplies and will use a variety of aerials.

Mobile amateur radio stations seem to have been more popular in the US than over here but after WW2 with huge stocks of ex-military equipment available mobile operations increased in the 40s-60s here and in the US.

I have an undated copy of "The Mobile Manual For Radio Amateurs" published by the ARRL which runs to 350+ pages of articles and adverts which provides a good view of mobile operations as practised in the US. However, your area of interest being pre-WW2 the book may be of little use to you.

Having said that, in the UK pre-war cars were in use for several years post-war for various reasons, so you could fit a station to your MG based on say WW2 Command Sets, which were very popular and cheap in the 40s and 50s.

Roger/G3VKM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qst-uhx10-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	224976   Click image for larger version

Name:	qst-uhx10-2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	224977   Click image for larger version

Name:	qst-uhx10-3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	224978  
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:05 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Is that an HRO on the back seat? You will not fit that under the dashboard.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:45 am   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Curious the statement that /M was only legal on 10m and 5m.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 10:27 am   #8
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Is that an HRO on the back seat? You will not fit that under the dashboard.
Yes, it mentions it in the text. I wouldn't like to have one of those whack me in the back if I had a shunt!

Roger
Old 20th Jan 2021, 10:32 am   #9
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Curious the statement that /M was only legal on 10m and 5m.
I think there might have been a similar restriction in the UK. Certainly, you needed a separate licence for mobile operations in the UK and keep a log! I still have my mid-60s logbook somewhere for my Codar AT5.

The ARRL mobile handbook I mentioned earlier was published in 1955. There's a good photo of a 1919 mobile transmitter here:-

https://hackaday.com/2020/07/16/ham-...ns-circa-1919/

Great aerial system!

Roger/G3VKM

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 20th Jan 2021 at 10:42 am. Reason: Add
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:53 am   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Great picture Roger, though you might get stopped for insecure load! Certainly forgotten about the mobile logbook.

I have a small yellow one from the 70's, pretty sure it was a requirement then.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 1:03 pm   #11
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Great picture Roger, though you might get stopped for insecure load! Certainly forgotten about the mobile logbook.

I have a small yellow one from the 70's, pretty sure it was a requirement then.
I had a WS62 behind the seats, with a short loaded whip mounted on a luggage rack on the boot.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 20th Jan 2021, 3:27 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I guess you'd only really have been able to operate while actually driving - the power-demand of something like a HRO and associated several-6L6 transmitter would have been murderous to the typical six-volt-dynamo electrical-system typical of the time.

I do remember seeing in some of the WWII-era ARRL handbooks several HF-converter circuits - often using something like a single 6K8 or 6A8 - that allowed a car-radio to act as a 'tunable IF'; one of these also showed an adapter made out of a UX-style plug and socket that you fitted into the car-radio's output-valve socket to allow HT/LT to be tapped off and fed to the HF converter.

Of course any sort of car-radio was rather rare in UK prewar cars!
Old 20th Jan 2021, 6:39 pm   #13
James Duncan
Pentode

My family had a home made transmitter and receiver in the boot, pretty big and I was told that it used up the car battery very quickly so extra batteries were used, these were 6 volt as was common then.
This was in late 1930's so I doubt if I ever saw this setup in the car, I do remember the car as it was hidden away so it would not be confiscated for the MOD.
I do not know what happened to the Tx and RX but most at the time were home brew as no one making rigs, at least not in UK.
MM0HDW
Old 20th Jan 2021, 8:56 pm   #14
Cobaltblue

Several totally unnecessary car references removed.

Make, model, MPG, not necessary.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:28 pm   #15
Triple M
Triode

Thanks again for some great information, I hadn't realized that mobile operation was restricted to 10 and 5m!
Maybe as noted, an older Codar T28/AT5 might be a possible interim setup before i can find something more "period"
thanks again for all comments.
Glenn
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 7:38 am   #16
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
Thanks again for some great information, I hadn't realized that mobile operation was restricted to 10 and 5m!
Maybe as noted, an older Codar T28/AT5 might be a possible interim setup before i can find something more "period"
thanks again for all comments.
Glenn
Hi Glenn,

The article I posted was for American amateurs, I've no info on bands used for mobile over here.

I asked a friend who is very into the history of the hobby about UK pre-1939 mobile operations and he said it was not common and needed a special time-limited permit from the GPO.

The Codar AT5/T28 would be a good choice as they are fairly plentiful.

Until quite recently I owned a small Top Band and 80m mobile TX built by G3HRK. I've just remembered that I still had a photo of it with a Top Band Command receiver and a PSU/control unit, the installation dates from the 50s I believe.

Another possible source of info might be the "Mobile Scene" section of Short Wave Magazine. In the mid-50s the magazine published a list of UK amateurs operating mobile and the basic details of bands used, etc. The American Radio History web site has all the SWMs for free download. https://worldradiohistory.com/Short_Wave_UK.htm

Roger/G3VKM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	G3HRK_RX.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	225118  

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 22nd Jan 2021 at 8:01 am. Reason: Add details
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 4:51 am   #17
WB6NVH-GEOFF
Tetrode

It is my recollection as well that in the pre-war USA, mobile operation was illegal other than on the 10 and 5 meter bands unless you received a special permit. Even after the war, for a time there was a rule that you had to notify the nearest radio inspector of your intent to operate portable, i.e. at a fixed location other than your license location. It appears that the GPO had similar restrictions in place in the UK.
Old 24th Jan 2021, 1:06 pm   #18
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I found this photo of mobile television in an old CQ TV. (no 179). Most likely not transmitting. There is a callsign on the camera, G3PY, but I can't find any information on the net about the callsign or the car used (Matilda)

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mobile TV.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	225268  

Last edited by Malcolm G6ANZ; 24th Jan 2021 at 1:08 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old 24th Jan 2021, 1:30 pm   #19

The 70cms repeater in Cambridge is GB3PY, it was (maybe still is) ran by Pye Telecom. Perhaps a connexion with G3PY?

Old 24th Jan 2021, 2:47 pm   #20
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ View Post
I found this photo of mobile television in an old CQ TV. (no 179). Most likely not transmitting. There is a callsign on the camera, G3PY, but I can't find any information on the net about the callsign or the car used (Matilda)

Malcolm
Pre-war 3PY was a private individual in Manchester

5PY is listed a a "BBC Relay"

5PI was the Pye Radio club

Search for G5UM callbook

Fred
Closed Thread