UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2020, 3:17 am   #1
beery
Heptode

Default T-cut recipe change

Hi all,
I often use T-cut for cleaning and polishing metal, glass and Bakelite.
I recently bought some more of the same or so I thought.

What I actually got was the new "Rapid" formula. This has replaced the traditional formula in the shops. Now this change may have happened some time ago as it had been ages since I last bought any.
It has less amonia, less cutting compound and lots of wax. It is much thicker and is white in colour instead of the usual yellow.
Apparently the recipe change is to make it more suitable for modern paint finishes. It does not seem to do much, so I'm assuming the "Rapid" name is supposed to be ironic!
Well it was an unfortunate waste of money.
I've checked the manufacturer's website and they state that the original formula can now be obtained in the old style cans. I have found it for sale online, but you might not be able to buy it at your local motor factors anymore.

Cheers
Andy
Old 27th Nov 2020, 6:28 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: T-cut recipe change

The wax was always the problem with T-cut. It was the devil to remove if you wanted to cut a paint finish for re-painting. I used to use ICI Belco medium rubbing compound, but you can't get it any longer. What you can get is a range of grades of Farecla cutting compound. Done by hand, it's tediously slow stuff because it's intended to be used with a machine. Number 3 cuts moderately well, 6 is general purpose, and number 10 is needed for getting perspex glittery. On small things like radio bits, machinery is impractical so it's a lot more work than it used to be.

One of the uses of cutting compounds is to remove years of build up of wax or silicone polishes and muck. Ideally you want to remove everything to a clean surface, and only then do you want to apply new, clean wax. If your cutting compound contains wax, then the dirty old stuff you're trying to remove mixes in with the new wax and is kept on the surface. You dilute the dirtyness, but you don't remove it very efficiently.

David
Old 27th Nov 2020, 7:25 am   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Car boots, when they are allowed again, can be a good source of older part-used products at a good price.
Rob
Old 27th Nov 2020, 3:13 pm   #4
wireless_john
Heptode

That's interesting! I've got most of a large bottle left that I've had for quite a few years. I'll be a bit more economical with it in future!

John
Old 27th Nov 2020, 8:57 pm   #5
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

I have an OG bottle.

David, what was the thinking to include the wax in the compound? I know it was supposed to restore ‘colour and lustre in seconds’ but an additional wax was supposed to be applied on top, right ?
Old 27th Nov 2020, 10:18 pm   #6
poppydog
Banned

T cut never used to have wax in it, whoever suggested it did is wrong.
Old 28th Nov 2020, 1:03 am   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

Funnily enough I used to use t-cut for Bakelite, but after running out recently (a very old bottle) I bought some new stuff and it simply didn't cut it (no pun intended) on a weather-worn DAC90. It never occurred to me there might be a change in ingredients.
Old 28th Nov 2020, 5:23 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Like many materials, modern versions not only have to dodge ingredients verboten by health and safety, they also have to handle lower levels of knowledge in the general population as well as the trend for instant gratification. A paint surface free of any wax polish looks relatively dull and shows up any oily residues. Including a wax stops people seeing it in this state and makes the after-cutting job look better.

But getting a surface fully wax-free is important if you're going to paint it, especially if you want to blend in an area, and are working with period-correct cellulose paint which will slightly dissolve with the thinner in the new coat. Original T-cut used to leave a slight oily film which you didn't get with Belco compound.

David
Old 28th Nov 2020, 5:29 pm   #9
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I think there is a similar product to T-Cut available in Poundland (when and if they open again). I recall there being a thread on this forum about it, but my memory is a little hazy (my wife has Alzheimer's, is it infectious?) . I went and bought some of the Poundland stuff and it seemed almost as good as the original T-Cut. Can anyone remember the thread?
Colin.
Old 28th Nov 2020, 8:57 pm   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The bottle which I have (bought in the 1970's) is occasionally used on anything where a coarse abrasive is appropriate. Apart from that, I have a shelf full of Meguiars' stuff.

B
Old 28th Nov 2020, 8:58 pm   #11
newlite4
Octode

I am glad that this has come up, I thought it was just me. I bought a 500ml bottle of the stuff in Lidl a year ago and thought "this is harder work than it used to be". I think I will just splash out on another 1litre tin of Brasso, at least it still works, for now.
Neil
Old 30th Nov 2020, 4:42 pm   #12
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

The Unipart cutting compound I've been using over the years, which was obtained from a motor factors, has been very good. It looks similar to T-Cut but was much cheaper. Maybe check your local motor factors for a suitable alternative.

I've also successfully used metal polishes too such as Autosol, Brasso and Silvo. They all work well with care.

Regards,
Symon
Old 30th Nov 2020, 6:10 pm   #13
dglcomp
Heptode

Euro Car Parts do the old style bottles if people were looking for a supplier,
£11.49 for 500ml or £7.09 for 300ml
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/t-cut...00ml-553998610
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/t-cut...00ml-553998600
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 12:19 pm   #14
G6ONEDave
Octode

At my last employers paint shop they used something called 'paint rubbing compound G3', don't know whats in it though.
Dave
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 12:36 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
I think there is a similar product to T-Cut available in Poundland (when and if they open again). I recall there being a thread on this forum about it, but my memory is a little hazy (my wife has Alzheimer's, is it infectious?) . I went and bought some of the Poundland stuff and it seemed almost as good as the original T-Cut. Can anyone remember the thread?
Colin.
Poundland in Didcot is open as normal

But I can't see anything likely on their website.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 1:12 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Poundland is open in Horsham probably because it sells food. J.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 3:48 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
At my last employers paint shop they used something called 'paint rubbing compound G3', don't know whats in it though.
Dave
One of these?.....

The numbers don't seem ordered G6 is the more abrasive (not as fast as the old Belco medium paste, though)

G3 is listed as fine

G10 is very fine

The ratings seem to assume machine application, so they are a lot milder with hand-powered rubbing.

Cost is about £30 for a big bottle, £10 for the smaller ones and about £7 for a big toothpaste tube. All trade and plus VAT.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	221685  
Old 6th Dec 2020, 10:12 am   #18
rontech
Heptode

In the days when I rode motorcycles there was a compound called Solvol Autosol ( I think!) . It was pretty abrasive soft smooth paste and would get the blueing off chrome exhaust pipes. Used gently it could be useful for the purposes referred to above.
Old 6th Dec 2020, 10:15 am   #19
rontech
Heptode

P.S.

I have just found this link:- https://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/autosol-products

They have a wide range of products, the original is about £4 for a 100ml tube
Old 6th Dec 2020, 10:18 am   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Oh well, together with various ancient tins of my own, I inherited my dad's tins so I have enough to see me out I reckon!