UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Old 7th Apr 2024, 3:24 pm   #1
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default FreeView digital to analogue converter Goodmans GDR11

We have been donated one of these for our restoration of BBC MCR21 project. The idea was to use it so pictures could be displayed via the vintage analogue 405/625 line receiver installed.

The Goodmans converter box is useful as it has, as well as the scart connector the selected channel remodulated onto a UHF channel 52 in this instance although this can be changed in the set up.

So far so good!, however there is a problem with the aspect ratio. It can be set to normal 16:9 out or letterbox for use on a 4:3 tube or to "compromise" ?? (whatever this is meant to be?),.

The first two options are unsuitable and the third seems to produce the same letterbox as option 2. It was hoped that this might produce a pillarbox 4:3 display (sides cropped off)

The question is? does anyone have any experience of this unit and it's display modes? and can a pillarbox display be achieved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8095.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	295950  

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
beamcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2024, 3:56 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: FreeView digital to analogue converter Goodmans GDR11

Aspect ratios are a minefield with all boxes of this type feeding 4:3 TVs. 16:9 will show the 16:9 image with letterboxing. Zoom will throw away the left and right parts of the image to display a cropped fullscreen 4:3 image. I'd expect 'compromise' to crop to 14:9 with some letterboxing - this is usually the best choice for a 4:3 CRT TV and is what the BBC did for their analogue service.

Unfortunately it gets more complicated with 4:3 originated material. The broadcasters are supposed to switch the aspect ratio in the data stream, but most no longer do this and broadcast a pillarboxed 4:3 image in a 16:9 frame. This won't display sensibly on a 4:3 TV unless the digibox has been configured to zoom to fullscreen.

Basically, the broadcasters were heartily glad so see the back of 4:3 displays and now make no serious effort to accommodate them.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 2:11 pm   #3
andrewferguson
Hexode

Not wanting to stray too far from the original post, but is the Goodmans GDR11 particularly good for vintage TV? (Or, say, do most freeview boxes of the era also have the equivalent features?)

By chance I picked up a GDR11 yesterday for about 50p in a bundle of other things. I was planning to Freegle it but if it's got features particularly suited to vintage TV I'll offer it here first.
andrewferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 2:23 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Most Freeview boxes don't have a UHF modulator - the RF output is just passthrough. This is probably why the OP finds this particular model useful.

The amount of support for 4:3 screens varies between models. They all seem to do 16:9 with letterboxing and 4:3 with cropping, and many also offer the 14:9 'compromise'. A few allow the level of zooming to be specified, or allow the letterboxed image to be shifted up so the subtitles appear below the image.
Old 14th Apr 2024, 4:11 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Nonode

I would have thought it was useful for anyone with an analogue TV with just an RF input.

Many years I bought one thinking they wouldn't be on the market forever, & have only occasionally used & still keep it in the original box.
Old 14th Apr 2024, 8:41 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

I have three digibox models with modulators.

* Icecrypt T5000. This is the only one I now use for its modulator, for a small Philips pre-SCART colour set. It can be set to display a full screen 4:3 picture from a 4:3 letterbox signal, useful for watching TPTV. It also has undocumented menu settings for providing two types of European PAL, and one NTSC UHF output signals. I established the PAL option did work using a deceased relative's multistandard TV I had brought back from France.

* Ferguson FS01SDB (early model). This has a rectangular remote and the rear panel has an undocumented 9 pin D connector. The UHF modulator is fully tuneable.

* Ferguson FS01SDB (later model). This is actually model FS01SDBE, but this code only appears on the original carton and the cover of the user manual. Its front panel is identical with the earlier model, and bears the original FS01SDB marking. It differs externally by having a dogbone remote and no D connector. The modulator is tuned to a fixed frequency of 503.25 MHz, making it useless in my area, because that frequency is occupied by a digital multiplex. I guess it might be possible to disable the aerial input and just use it as a modulator by inputting video via its VCR SCART socket, but I haven't tried that. I use a couple of these with SCART-equipped sets. One is a 16:9 LCD set but I have been unable to make it display 4:3 pictures correctly.

The Icecrypt, which is used every day, started playing up a couple of years ago, but it was just a couple of leaking/bulging electrolytics in its power supply circuitry. I decided to replace the lot while I was at it, fitting high temperature types.

Last edited by emeritus; 14th Apr 2024 at 9:04 pm. Reason: typos
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2024, 6:16 pm   #7
andrewferguson
Hexode

Great, I will give my GDR11 a test next week when I have more time, and (assuming it works OK) list it FOC in the offered section.
andrewferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2024, 1:30 pm   #8
colourking
Pentode

Wishful thinking but I take it no terrestrial boxes with analogue modulator were ever produced that could receive HD / MPEG4 ?

Whilst no future switch-off date of SD/MPEG2 versions of the main channels on Freeview has so far been announced by BBC etc , it is probably something that will be ceased at some point?
(this has already happened on satellite/freesat)

They could though in the interm decide to downgrage the SD versions? With the result that a HD channel converted to analogue 625 has a better picture (especially with high motion footage) than doing so with a SD version of the same channel.

Last edited by colourking; 20th Apr 2024 at 1:39 pm.
colourking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 12:07 pm   #9
locknut
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourking View Post
Wishful thinking but I take it no terrestrial boxes with analogue modulator were ever produced that could receive HD / MPEG4 ?
I don't think so, but I'm sure there were a some freeview HD boxes with composite video out that could be connected via an external modulator or VCR.
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 1:29 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

The user manual for the Ferguson F01SDBE says that the SCART for connection to a TV provides Composite video (CVBS), RGB and Audio L/R.
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 11:28 pm   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
The user manual for the Ferguson F01SDBE says that the SCART for connection to a TV provides Composite video (CVBS), RGB and Audio L/R.
The F01SDBE appears to be only a DVB-T box.
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 12:10 am   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

Sorry, didn't notice the HD, just had my cataracts done and haven't got new glasses yet!
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 11:08 am   #13
paulsherwin

Old Youview boxes are HD with analogue Scart outputs, but they don't have built in modulators.
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 12:10 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Old Youview boxes are HD with analogue Scart outputs, but they don't have built in modulators.
I'm sure my one (as recommended by Paul Stenning >10 years ago) did.

It was a Humax DTR-T1010 .

Could be wrong though, it was a long time ago.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 9:01 pm   #15
Robsradio
Heptode

Funnily enough I bought a GDR11 at the car boot sale last Sunday for a quid, with box, remote and manual, I thought it would be ideal for the few analogue portables I have.
Robsradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2024, 11:53 am   #16
locknut
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I'm sure my one (as recommended by Paul Stenning >10 years ago) did.

It was a Humax DTR-T1010 .

Could be wrong though, it was a long time ago.
I think it's just a loop through, no modulator. AFAIK.

There was an added peculiarity with the T1000/T1010, if you connect a display to the HDMI output, the analogue outputs stopped displaying any menu overlays.