UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 1st Apr 2024, 12:46 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Motor start capacitor value.

I have just decided to refurb this half horsepower motor it appeared to be running on the start winding, the capacitor checked OK for value but leaky on volts test, it looks like 65uF/75uF, tried a 10 uF motor capacitor which seems to run OK, it's drawing just over three amps ran it for half an hour all OK, do I leave it in?

Thoughts please. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0018.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	295712  
vinrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2024, 2:30 pm   #2
wave solder
Hexode

Default Re: Motor start capacitor value.

With single phase motors, the best way is to check the current when the motor is under load, too small a capacitance and the current increases, too large a capacitance and it also increases. Motor capacitors often have a built in discharge resistor which may cause the capacitor to show as leaky when tested. 10µF is a bit small, usually it would be 16-25µF for that size of motor.

Last edited by wave solder; 1st Apr 2024 at 2:39 pm.
wave solder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2024, 6:16 pm   #3
John_BS
Octode

I'm assuming that this is a capacitor-start motor: can you hear the centifrugal switch click shut as it runs down?

If that's the case, a 1/2HP motor will require c 60uF to 80uF - too small a value will give poor starting torque. The cap and winding are only rated for about 8 seconds (max) starting time, so it's important that the centifrugal switch is operating.

John
John_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2024, 10:15 pm   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I second ensuring the capacitor is being switched out of circuit. You can do it with a continuity check while spinning the motor with a drill or something. I just had a 3hp one fail and take out a winding, and new ones are not cheap!
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 9:23 am   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

Thanks for all the info, when I checked the motor with a 10mf capacitor I noted the current on start up which would be just over 10 amps after a few seconds it dropped to 3 amps this would suggest that the centifrugal switch is working ok . I have ordered a new 60mf capacitor . Mick.
vinrads is offline   Reply With Quote