UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2015, 2:05 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Western electric 500

Breaking with my tradition of collecting only GPO phones, I've recently acquired the WE 500 pictured. The base plate is marked 11/51, but other parts are of varying dates, and it is clear that at some stage the phone went through the company's refurbishment process. During this, the phone was converted to an RJ11 modular socket.

I've connected the phone to my home line, and it makes and receives calls very clearly indeed. Problem is, when calling, the bell only makes a single ring, after which all I can hear is a faint clicking in time with the ringing cadence. Do any of you know whether this is to do with the way the phone is wired, or am I perhaps looking at a duff ringer?

Any ideas would be much appreciated - pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010531.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	102722   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010532.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	102723   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010533.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	102724   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010536.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	102725  
Old 15th Jan 2015, 3:11 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Western electric 500

Worth reading this thread esp. post 5

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=99154
Old 17th Feb 2015, 10:55 pm   #3
Obmcclintock
Retired Dormant Member

I have worked with many 500 series telephones and their wiring as I worked at one time for the bell system here in the states. The first question that popped into my mind was, what is the cycle of your ring current, 20,25,30? These bells are very sensitive to that detail as when used on party lines years ago, the cycle determined which party on the line was signalled. The next question would be, is the condencer in good condition? I have seen on some of the old 500 sets that they loose continuity over time. If its just the bells, that can be corrected by adjustment possibly. If its the condenser, that can easily be replaced by a small inexpensive capacitor. Let me know and I will try to help, dave
Old 19th Feb 2015, 3:12 pm   #4
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Many thanks for your help Dave. Since my first post, I have given the internals of the phone a good clean-up, and have tightened a few loose screws, etc. I'm delighted to say that on re-assembly, the phone now works perfectly on both my home line, and a Panasonic 616 PABX that I am playing around with at the moment. I am impressed with the WE500, and if I can get hold of some more at a reasonable price, will be adding to my collection. I've just acquired a Northern Electric version, which is ex Irish Telephone Service, but which was made in Canada in 1977. This will require a new line cord, as the original has been cut off, but is in otherwise good condition. I suspect we shall be chatting again.

Once again, many thanks, and welcome to the group. Always good to hear from the States!
Old 19th Feb 2015, 7:53 pm   #5
Obmcclintock
Retired Dormant Member

The 500 series western electric phones were some of the best and most durable phones ever manufactured. These phones should last 75 to 100 years or more! They were made like some of the vintage GPO phones in England. I remember when being told by my supervisor in the 70s that they were soon going to be building a life expectancy into their new phones. That was the beginning of the end for me with the bell system! Such a great company that stooped to new lows during their final years. I come across 500 phones almost daily? If you are looking for more let me know. The are not expensive here but the post to G.B. Is quite high, thanks, dave
Old 19th Feb 2015, 8:20 pm   #6
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Nice to hear! Norway also have the 25Hz ringing current, and it looks like the Western Electric C-type are more heavy to ring due to bias spring tension. The ringer is pretty good documented here: http://tinyurl.com/lxzpe35
I guess you dont have to put in a capacitor to get a load ring, maybe if you had a German system with 60V ringing. I use a UK version of the 616 my selves and it is no problem to use US telephones at all.

dsk
Old 19th Feb 2015, 8:45 pm   #7
Obmcclintock
Retired Dormant Member

Probably 90% of the telephones here in the states were on 20 cycle ring. Years ago party lines other than 2 party had variable ring cycle. I.e. on a ten party line which was common in rural areas utilized 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 cycles. Five parties utilized each different being controlled by weighting the bell armature as needed. Those five parties were tip to ground ring current while the other five parties were ring to ground ring current. You guys will probably chuckle at this but when I was quite young some of my relatives had magneto wall phones with as many as 25 to 30 people on a few very rural party lines. Not many years earlier these same lines were one wire with ground utilization. I remember one time operator (central), as she was called, tried to complete a call to a farm and the transmission was really bad. She asked the called party if the had replaced the batteries lately and was told that they were almost new. The operators next statement was to go outside and dump a bucket of water on the ground rod. Within a moment or two the conversation was up and running as normal! Thought you might appreciate a laugh, cheers, dave
Old 27th Apr 2015, 8:15 pm   #8
Ryan_1993
Hexode

I just got one yesterday. Built quality is superb. I think its started me collecting more American vintage phones. I have really only paid attention to GPO offerings, but loving it. That distinctive ring on my PBX.
Closed Thread