UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2012, 10:44 pm   #1
the_snark
Triode

Default Automatic Radio Decal

Hi,

I want to make a new decal for my Automatic Radio model 660 but the old decal is in poor condition. It appears to have a red background but it is very hard to tell. Does anyone have an Automatic Radio with a decal that has a red background? If so please can I have a photo. If I can make a reasonable decal I will make it available to anyone who is interested.

Regards

Tim

Come over to the dark side ........... We have cookies!
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 11:23 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Automatic Radio Decal

I can't help with a picture, but if the 660 is a woody and the decal is applied to the cabinet then it was red - almost a crimson shade originally. One of our USA members will hopefully be able to help further.

Automatic made some nice sets, quite quirky in some cases. Pity they don't turn up in the UK very often.
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 6:28 am   #3
the_snark
Triode

Hi Darren,

Yes it is a woody with an unusual sliding cover over the speaker. I just tried to take a photo but my battery was flat so I will post one tonight.

Old 23rd Jul 2012, 10:15 am   #4
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I guess it is OK for an American set to have a decal. British sets, of course, used transfers!
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 6:54 pm   #5
the_snark
Triode

Here are the pictures as promised.
As you can see the transfer is in a pretty poor shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010547.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	68967   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010549.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	68968  

Old 24th Jul 2012, 12:04 am   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ah, a problem. The handful of these sets I've seen had red lettering on a contrasting or, in some cases, a transparent background with a red border. Yours appears to have what began life as a red background with lettering in another colour.

Unfortunately a chap I knew a few years back with a collection of American, including Automatic, radios is no longer with us so it looks like I can't advise further. A web search I did a little while ago didn't bear fruit either. As said earlier, hopefully one of our USA members will be able to help, failing that you could try one of the American 'antique radio' forums.
Old 24th Jul 2012, 12:09 am   #7
the_snark
Triode

If all else fails I will reconstruct it from the evidence I have. It can only look better than it does at the moment.

Closed Thread