UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2011, 3:50 am   #1
Crystalstar
Retired Dormant Member

Default Attach new speaker cloth

Can any one suggest the easiest way to attach new speaker cloth to speaker board for my Pye Cambridge radiogram?

I know I have to keep it taut but other than using staples and applying it to
the board as I would recover a dining room chair I have no other ideas, it is a decent size board.

Can I do it that way or do I need to glue the fabric in place I seriously do not want to muck this up?

Crystalstar.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 25th Sep 2011 at 8:57 am. Reason: Edited typos.
Old 25th Sep 2011, 1:31 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Attach new speaker cloth

Lay the fabric out flat, face down, and then lay the board on top. leaving a margin of fabric round the outside, about 6" if possible. Make sure any lines or pattern in the fabric are square with the board, and then spray carpet adhesive on one end only, covering both the overhanging fabric, and about 3" of the board edge. Wait about 2 minutes, then fold the glued fabric over onto the back of the board. Cut off the overhang fabric at the ends level with the long edges of the board. Leave for a couple of hours, then begin work on the other end. Staple the overhanging fabric face down to a batten of wood, again lining up any pattern or lines, then spray as before, and after of couple of minutes, pull on the batten to stretch the fabric taut and straight. As you lift it, the batten will now come on on the top side of the fabric, when you are sure the pattern is straight, press the batten down onto the board, and the fabric will stick. Cut the fabric attached to the batten off with a sharp knife, and again trim off the overhanging fabric. The two long sides, being already taut, can now be sprayed and folded over. If the board is thick, make sure you overlap the corners slightly when folding the long sides over, or the join at the corners will "gape". Cut off any bulky overlapping fabric when everything is completely dry. If you are not happy using the spray adhesive, use ordinary contact stuff, but only if the fabric is not affected by it, some are, the adhesive melts it.

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 25th Sep 2011 at 1:50 pm.
Old 25th Sep 2011, 2:54 pm   #3
alex_w
Retired Dormant Member

My favourite method, which I think has been suggested by others previously, is to make a softwood frame which the speaker board can be fitted snugly into. Then stretch the fabric over the frame and use drawing pins to secure it. Keep stretching/pinning the fabric until the weave/pattern is completely square and tight. Glue up the front of the board and lower it through the frame against the fabric and leave it to thoroughly dry. Once you've done this, take all the pins out, slide the frame off and trim the fabric. It takes a while, but avoids flabby/wonky results.
Old 28th Sep 2011, 10:48 pm   #4
Crystalstar
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the help Barry will certainly give it a go, I feel a little more confident about applying the new fabric now, thank you so much.

Will also take Alex's suggestion into consideration when I come to Re apply new speaker cloth, this is all so new to me so greatful for any help I can get, I just want to make a good job.

Crystalstar
Closed Thread