UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2010, 10:22 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Gould 1421 digital storage oscilloscope

Hello there,
This oscilloscope was advertised on here a few weeks ago free because it was faulty. I like a bit of a challenge especially when it comes to old test equipment or old tellies!

The oscilloscope arrived on Thursday in the post. Powering it up showed that the CRT beam was not being cut off (blanking) when it should leaving a mess of lines on the screen.
I spent this evening going through the circuit diagram seeing how it worked and I found the 210 volt HT rail down at 160 volts. Removing the HT fuse did not bring up the HT rail.

I had a look with another oscilloscope I have at the 210 volt DC HT rail and found that rather than DC the rail was predominantly AC going down to 10 volts at the lowest point of each sine wave!!.

There was only one electrolytic capacitor that was in this part of the circuit (a 33uF 350 volt LCR made cap) and on removing it I found that it had been leaking. On replacement with another 33uF 450 volt cap (that was destined for a 405 line telly!) the HT line sprang back to life with the correct 210 volts HT and almost no AC ripple.

Having a play with the controls proves that this capacitor was at fault and now the CRT blanking is working and its replacement means the oscilloscope is now in working order.
Many thanks,

Christopher Capener
Old 6th Nov 2010, 3:36 pm   #2
Guitarist28
Heptode

Default Re: Gould 1421 digital storage oscilloscope

Hi Chrostopher,
Well done and sounds like you have bagged a bargain. I hope that you get years of good use from your new 'scope.

Regards

Rob
Closed Thread