UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2020, 5:54 pm   #1
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Default Removing curly cord from receiver

I have a red 782 phone. There's a significant 'rustle' and crackling sound, all of which seems to emanate from the inch or two of the curly cord immediately before it goes into the mouthpiece end of the receiver. One option would, I suppose, be to remove the curly cord, trim the individual wires by a couple of inches and then replace it; from past experience, however, knowing how filament-thin those wires are, just replacing the whole cord seems a better bet. Either way, I know how to remove the wires from the phone end, but can anyone tell me how to safely remove them from the handset? - There appears to be a clip holding the curly-cord in place, but I can't quite see how you're supposed to remove or replace it.
Other than that, any particular thoughts on where to get another red curly cord, or just Google it and see what turns up?
Old 26th Jun 2020, 6:46 pm   #2
Granitehill
Tetrode

Default Re: Removing curly cord from receiver

Dredging the memory from 50 years ago....

The crimped-on clip on the cord has two "ears". They will match two cutouts in the handset if you rotate the clip through about 45 degrees. Can't remember if CW or CCW.
When the clip lines up with the cutouts, pull, and the cord should come out quite easily (the flexibility in the cord allows the rotation, best tool is a pair of "81s"
Old 26th Jun 2020, 7:16 pm   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

See: http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_hs3.htm
Old 27th Jun 2020, 2:24 pm   #4
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Thank you for your replies. I understand the principle now, although I'm having trouble finding a pair of pliers ( or any other tool for that matter! ) that will grip the crimped clip tightly enough to turn it without damaging it or it's surroundings. I'm not familiar with the term '81s', which makes me think I probably don't have any ...! If anyone has any suggestions for workaround methods of turning the clip, that would be great, otherwise I'll keep improvising till I come up with something.

Other than that, I'm having trouble finding a replacement curly-cord with the hard-wired u-shaped spade connectors at each end and the right amount of cores ( i.e. four ). Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem if you're in the USA, but so far I haven't come up with any in the UK. Given the fact that they seem pretty hard to come by in the first place, I'm not sure what the chances will be of finding a red one!

Any thoughts on either of the above would be appreciated.
Old 27th Jun 2020, 2:32 pm   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I've always used long-nosed pliers but admit that it's not easy. As for a replacement, e-Bay is full of them or you could try: https://www.britphone.net/gpo-700-se...cables-2-c.asp
Old 27th Jun 2020, 2:55 pm   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Guy View Post
I'm not familiar with the term '81s', which makes me think I probably don't have any ...! <snip>
The term used in the UK 'telephone world' for fairly lightweight long nosed pliers. It originates from the old GPO term for them - 'Tools, Instrument No 81' - last used officially as the description for them getting on for a hundred years go!!

Been known as 'Pliers Wiring No 2' since the 1930's and described as 'Pliers taper nosed 5 1/2 inch long, insulated'. But the term '81s' has survive.

They come up from time to time on eBay particularly in exGPO toolkits and you can still buy new ones Every engineer had a pair.

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 27th Jun 2020 at 3:09 pm.
Old 27th Jun 2020, 3:02 pm   #7
Granitehill
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Guy View Post
I'm not familiar with the term '81s', which makes me think I probably don't have any ...!
"81's" are a bit of telecomms folklore ! They have narrow pointed jaws, specifically for wiring. The name comes from pre-war GPO stores descriptions, where they were described as "Tools no. 81". Later known as "Pliers, Wiring No.2".
The name 81s has stuck, at least amongst the older hands, and it is often recognised in BT, Royal Mail engineering, Royal Signals, and other government-related outfits. A bit like the Masons' handshake, I think !
Old 27th Jun 2020, 3:32 pm   #8
198 kHz
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
But the term '81s' has survive.
Three syllables against seven - no contest!
Old 27th Jun 2020, 7:55 pm   #9
Euros1951
Triode

Apparatus Terminating 1= AT1= 81
Old 28th Jun 2020, 12:56 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

My old mentor told me that "81s" were distinct from "pliers wiring" as 81's had a cutting blade in the middle and were favoured on jumperframes as you only needed one tool . 81's could cut the jumper wire , strip it and terminate. However, as said, pliers wiring took over and all long nosed pliers from then on took the name 81's, with the mini version(designed to be used on PCB)getting the nickname ( in my area and possibly others)as 41's

Last edited by Oldcodger; 28th Jun 2020 at 1:02 pm.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 3:23 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

Mine (ex Father in Law) are 81s then, having both cut and strip. My original ones got lost years ago. Neither were insulated or carried a makers name.
Curly cords: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/706-746-7...EAAOSwU~FWEEuk
Old 28th Jun 2020, 6:24 pm   #12
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Mine (ex Father in Law) are 81s then, having both cut and strip. My original ones got lost years ago. Neither were insulated or carried a makers name.
Curly cords: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/706-746-7...EAAOSwU~FWEEuk
A picture of my 'Pliers Wiring No 2' (previously known as Tools Instrument No 81) as issued to me in 1961. The handles were definitely insulated from new - I ordered a number of them for my staff over the years. The 'plastic' covering on the earlier ones often cracked and spilt off so lack of 'insulation' now isn't evidence it wasn't originally covered. The No 2 didn't have any 'stripping' facility as adjustable 'Strippers Wire No 2' (still available!) were issued as part of the 'personal tool kit' back in those days. The Pliers Wiring No 5 (with both the 'cut and strip' for 0.5mm wire only but with care other gauges could be stripped)) came out in the mid 1980's. See copy of the 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores dated 1982 but not updated by the time it went 'on line' on BT's Intranet in 1985. Also see picture of 'Pliers Wiring No 5' from 1990's. If you look the list of 'Tools Instrument' taken from a 1929 GPO Technical Instruction that I have, you'll notice that the term 'Tools Instrument' covers a wide range of tools including pliers, screwdrivers, gauges etc. 'Tools Inst 81' were part of a list of 'personal tools' rather than this list which was issued for use in a particular type of Telephone Exchange for maintaining it. Note that the Tools Inst 91, 93 and 96 by coincidence have the same measurements as what were later 'Screwdrivers Instrument No 1, No 3 and No 6' !!

To say "Apparatus Terminating 1= AT1= 81 " is the reason for the Pliers No 2 being called 81's makes a mockery of the Forum!

No truth whatsoever in the statement !!

I worked (when I first started with the GPO) with engineers who had worked with the GPO since the days of WW1 and had used the term '81's' when they were 'Tools Instrument No 81'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pliers Wiring No 2 - mine from 1961.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	209744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools Instrument.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	209745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pliers Wiring 2-4 - 'Ratebook' 1982.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	209746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pliers Wiring No 5.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	209747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screwdrivers Inst 'Ratebook' 1985.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	209748  

Old 28th Jun 2020, 11:06 pm   #13
Euros1951
Triode

To say "Apparatus Terminating 1= AT1= 81 " is the reason for the Pliers No 2 being called 81's makes a mockery of the Forum!

No truth whatsoever in the statement !!

My. What a reaction!

This is what I was told back in 1968 by an old T.O. Never doubted him.

Why am I making a mockery of this Forum?

Last edited by Euros1951; 28th Jun 2020 at 11:19 pm.
Old 29th Jun 2020, 1:24 am   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

A little harsh perhaps, but we're all entitled to personal opinions.
An extremely wide variety of subjects are covered on these forums, and we believe and trust that all posts are made in good faith. That's the best anyone can do.

As the original questions posed by the OP have been answered, this seems a good point to close the thread.
Closed Thread