UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2005, 8:37 pm   #1
Markjames
Retired Dormant Member

Default Reviving cloudy perspex.

I have a Bush TR82C with a cloudy perspex tuning dial. I understand this problem happens due to ultra violet light over time, but does anyone know where I can get a clear replacement?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 18th Aug 2007 at 11:42 pm. Reason: Make/model added due to change of thread title.
Old 27th Jul 2005, 2:10 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush TR82C - cloudy tuning dial knob

Discolouration of perspex in this manner is a common problem. You will only find a replacement tuning dial for a TR82 by either asking - as you have done - on here and other websites, or by obtaining another (scrap) radio with a better dial.

However, have you had a go at cleaning it ? very often much of the discolouration can be removed by first washing with warm, soapy water and then polishing with Brasso, Silvo or T-cut. You sometimes discover that much of the discolouration is only on, or very near to, the surface as opposed to penetrative. It's worth a try. Warm, soapy water and a nailbrush will make a surprising difference to the serated perimeter too, but be careful not to lose the little felt pads which sit in the inner channel.
Old 27th Jul 2005, 3:06 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

Just had one of these (TR82C) through here with a cloudy tuning knob. Following cleaning with T-Cut or whatever, apply some "Armor All Protectant" available from Halfords. This is a vinyl/plastic dressing and can further reduce the cloudy effect.

Steve
Old 30th Jul 2005, 12:22 pm   #4
PWH
Heptode

I find silver polish is a bit more effective than brasso on perspex.
Obviously only on surface marks.
Old 30th Jul 2005, 1:21 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

What about Greygate Plastic Polish which is specifically designed for Perspex etc?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Jul 2005, 2:15 pm   #6
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

I used greygate polish on a record deck cover which I assumed was perspex and it made it go cloudy so be careful using this stuff test somewhere unobtrusive first.

Mike
Old 30th Jul 2005, 2:20 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelect
I used greygate polish on a record deck cover which I assumed was perspex and it made it go cloudy so be careful using this stuff test somewhere unobtrusive first.

Mike
Me too I haven't opened my bottle since.

Darius recommended mobile phone screen polish for use on TVs with plastic implosion screens, so maybe that's another thing to try.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 30th Jul 2005 at 2:28 pm.
Old 30th Jul 2005, 4:04 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelect

Mike
I think some of these items have a shiny coating applied (maybe like the anti-scratch coating on the plastic lenses of reading glasses), and either the solvents in this polish attack it or the polish removes that coating.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread