UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2013, 11:28 pm   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Default BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Meeting - 7th July

Hi All,

Less than 2 weeks to go until the next BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Swapmeet.

This event will celebrate the 20th Year of this meeting. I cannot believe that I have been doing it for so long. The time has flown by. Unfortunately so many of the early regulars that I remember are no longer with us. However I am very glad to say that many people who were at the first event back in 1993 are still around and still coming each time.

There will be something a bit special at this event to celebrate the 20 years, but I won't be letting on just yet...

I am currently lotting up the Auction items and photographing them, just as fast as I can.
It will be a big auction with a lot of good quality, classic radios as well as quite a few sets that I have never seen before made by common manufacturers, but must have been very small production.

Lots of Pye rising sun sets including the M78F and plenty of Bakelite Ekco's - even some round ones...
There is also a large number of World War 1 radio items and other very early equipment.

It is going to take me a few days yet before I have completed the list and pictures, so will let you know when I have dispatched them off to Paul for the BVWS website.

If you are intending to book a stall, and have not done so yet, then get in touch quickly as the usual problem I have, is getting flooded with stall requests once the pictures are up on the website. Usually they have all been taken by that time, and there are only a few left now!

If there is anything (Quality) that you want to enter into the auction, you must make contact NOW! as it is filling really fast...

All for now,

Mike...
Old 1st Jul 2013, 8:36 am   #2
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Meeting - 7th July

Hi Everyone,

I have just sent to Paul a set of 214 pictures of 'some' of the lots for the WB auction this coming Sunday 7th.

There are 300 lots in total so far...

I will be sending the finalised Catalogue to Paul in a couple of days.

Paul will make the pictures available as his time permits.

There is also a spare stall (or at a squeeze, two) available due to a member going in to Hospital on an earlier than scheduled appiontment.
So if you are looking to book a table, I suggest at this late time, you book by phone
on 01380-860787

It's looking like great weather and a busy day!

See you all there,

Mike...
Old 1st Jul 2013, 10:34 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The photos are now online here http://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/phot...ton-july-2013/

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Jul 2013, 5:00 pm   #4
audiomagpie
Heptode

There's a terrific range of stuff there, something for everyone!

Murphy A8 with stand, plus an A40C, never seen as many a four round Ekco's in one auction before! And many other sets you don't see becoming available too often.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 1st Jul 2013, 7:46 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, I was impressed with the range and quality when I was looking through the photos. It is the 20th anniversary of RWB though, so we deserve to celebrate with a really good auction.

Paul Stenning
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 8:00 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Catalogue attached. It'll be on the website in an hour or so.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Auction Catalogue WB July 2013.pdf (70.4 KB, 1299 views)

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Jul 2013, 9:15 am   #7
newlite4
Octode

There are some very high value items there, possibly into the thousands, is it OK for members to pay for auction items by cheque?
Neil
Old 5th Jul 2013, 10:06 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Cheques are fine from established BVWS members. Credit and debit cards can be used too. New members who are not known to the committee may be required to pay cash though.

It's looking set to be a hot day, especially the afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	81588  

Paul Stenning
Old 6th Jul 2013, 9:35 pm   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Looking forward to tomorrow the auction looks very interesting
Old 6th Jul 2013, 10:47 pm   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Not been to WB before, but have a table there this time - hope to see some of you there.
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:22 pm   #11
thermionic
Heptode

Just got back from another great day. The sun was out, and all was right with the world.
I felt that attendance was down slightly this time, I guess the sunshine had something to do with this, with members prefering to sun themselves in their gardens or on the beach. The glass of bubbly was a nice touch to celebrate 20 years of Wootton Bassett, so thanks as always to Mike and all the team for making this possible.

The day was marred for me with the discovery that a valve from a lot in the auction had dissapeared. Mike made it perfectly clear he was not happy - and rightly so. It is bad enough for this to happen in a public auction house, but for it to happen at a members only private auction is disgraceful and leaves us all feeling uncomfortable.

I had to leave after lot 100 to make my way home and am hoping that this item was later discovered, perhaps after being examined and put back in the wrong lot. We live in hope.......

SimonT.
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:54 pm   #12
audiomagpie
Heptode

It was nice to see Mike thank all those who have been involved and supported him over the last 20 years, but the biggest thanks and congratulations must go to Mike himself for getting WB off the ground and keeping such a great meeting going for so long!

Shame about the valve thief, we've had it with knobs before. Shame to think that we've got such an individual in our club. Anyway, let's not dwell on negatives, it was a fab day out and was great to have been there. Looking forward to the next twenty!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:55 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Got there on time for once! Spent too much but luckily(?) some of my potential acquisitions turned out to be so far out of reach that I wasn't likely to be tempted- the Pye M78F miniature valve portable particularly took those honours. And it went "cheap" as well! Several other miniature sets also overtook my resources.

My favourite acquisition was a P17B Marconi with another case and a few spares for a fiver from a stall It's a set I've been sort of after for years.

Some of the WW1 stuff went for quite a bit- a couple of items made £1800, though I was surprised that an unmolested working R1155 went for £120 and three old HT batteries went for twice a Fenman 1.

A PX4 seemed to cause some comment on the box it was in, though I don't know if it was that missing valve or not.

And Murray won!

All in all- enjoyed my day out, toasted the BVWS with bubbly and came back with a couple of projects- bliss!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:08 pm   #14
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Smile Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Meeting - 7th July

A big thanks to Mike and his team. It was an enjoyable and very interesting day. Although I did not purchase anything from the auction I happily sat through it amazed at the prices those wartime RT sets we're going for. I did not come away totally empty handed I bought that tidy Hacker Ranger from Neil.
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:09 pm   #15
Sean Williams
Dekatron

My first WB. I left before the auction - my stall sold out, but I could not cope with the heat.

What a cracking venue though - excellent catering, and a really friendly atmosphere, the Auction looked really good, lots of quality items - I would have liked the Japanese Clandestine set, but I am guessing it was going to make a lot of money!

Mike and the team really deserve a massive vote of thanks for such an excellent day.

Sean
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:46 pm   #16
Pamphonica
Nonode

What a lovely way to celebrate 20 years at RWB!

I may not have much more than covered costs with my stall, but that's not the point. Surplus stuff was moved on to new owners, lots of good friends were met, and many items were transported to and fro. A great day out.

Mike, and all the team, thanks from all of us for making it a very fine celebratory day. And arranging both champagne AND a Wimbledon win was very clever.

Jeremy
Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:39 am   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
I would have liked the Japanese Clandestine set, but I am guessing it was going to make a lot of money!
I don't remember the actual figure but I believe there was a healthy commission bid on it and it sold to that buyer some way under their maximum.

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:46 am   #18
Pamphonica
Nonode

From my notes, the Japanese set was offered at £200 and had no bids so was withdrawn unsold.
Jeremy
Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:49 am   #19
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It was an excellent day. Thank you to everyone for making it so, especially Mike and the rest of the team who worked so hard.

We had access to the hall Saturday evening for a change, which meant that everything could be set up then. I wasn't involved with that but it was a relief not to have to spend 2-3 hours unloading the van, setting up the auction and hall etc - especially with such a large auction and long day.

I only bought a couple of computer bits from one stall, but was not planning to buy anything. There were a few things in the auction I would have quite liked but bot enough to pay the prices they raised!

It was good to meet several forum members during the day too, albeit briefly in some cases.

Thanks to everyone for coming and helping Mike celebrate 20 years of superb events!

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Jul 2013, 10:50 am   #20
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
From my notes, the Japanese set was offered at £200 and had no bids so was withdrawn unsold.
Jeremy
OK, I was just working from memory.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread