UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2012, 12:36 am   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Default Wootton Bassett Swapmeet/Auction 1st July

Hi All,

It is very fast approaching the next BVWS event at Royal Wootton Bassett.

This will be a Swapmeet event with large radio Auction.

Photographs of many of the Auction items will be sent off to Paul shortly to be put up on the BVWS website. A downloadable catalogue will be made available next week.
This sale will include a lot of 1920's valve and Crystal sets.

To everyone who has sent in for advance door tickets or stall bookings, They have now been sent out to you.

I currently have only 4 more stalls left before we are a full house, so if you are thinking of booking a stall, then please contact me asap.

Mike...
Old 24th Jun 2012, 2:42 pm   #2
Fergusson
Banned

Default Re: Wootton Bassett Swapmeet/Auction 1st July

As a newbie to the forum and not a member of any clubs I would like to know if the Wooton Bassett meet is only for members and if so are there any public meets around the country.

I wondered if anyone going to Wootton Bassett could look out for a Ferguson 22G2 instuction manual for me.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 1:40 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Wootton Bassett is BVWS members only, and you can join on the day.

The NVCF (each spring in Warwickshire) is open to all. I think Radiophile events are too but I don't have any dates or info for them.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 25th Jun 2012, 3:11 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The auction lot photos are now online here http://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/phot...ton-july-2012/

There may be a few more photos to add, and the catalogue will also be added in a couple of days. I will post here when there is something new there.

Paul Stenning
Old 25th Jun 2012, 6:54 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Wootton Bassett Swapmeet/Auction 1st July

My goodness !! 8 DAC90 radios, What a collection. Must be a record.

Christopher Capener
Old 25th Jun 2012, 7:44 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I've just added two more photos (oscilloscopes, beginning of the 4th row).

Paul Stenning
Old 26th Jun 2012, 2:25 pm   #7
Valvepower
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
My goodness !! 8 DAC90 radios, What a collection. Must be a record
Hi,

I can just see it now ....... Mike saying “Right no one leaves and goes home until all 8 Bush DAC radios have been sold”

Terry
Old 27th Jun 2012, 7:39 am   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Paul
Are you making the list of radios available?
I have flicked through the photos.
Thanks
Mike
Old 27th Jun 2012, 8:02 am   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The answer to that has already been given twice in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
A downloadable catalogue will be made available next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
...and the catalogue will also be added in a couple of days.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Jun 2012, 3:26 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The catalogue (as of now) is attached and is also on the website. There will be some further lots added before Sunday but the online catalogue won't be updated - you'll need to collect one on the day when you get your bidder number.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVWS_Auction_Catalogue_July_2012.pdf (39.5 KB, 760 views)

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Jun 2012, 4:43 pm   #11
ajs37
Heptode

Thanks Paul!
Old 27th Jun 2012, 7:16 pm   #12
crackle
Rest in Peace

cheers
Old 30th Jun 2012, 8:45 pm   #13
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

Well it looks like tomorrow is going to be another cracking day.

The hall is full to capacity with stall holders.
Everything is loaded on the van for the auction which now totals 290 lots.

I have been able to add several very nice radios and boxes and boxes of valves, some of which are good tested 1920's valves.

I am still expecting more items for the Auction to arrive tomorrow, so we will be well into the 300's.

The Auction start time will be 12:30pm.

All the usual hot food, cakes and drinks will be available and the weather is looking pretty good too.

What more could we ask for...

See you there,

Mike...
Old 1st Jul 2012, 9:06 pm   #14
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

What another great turnout!

I had a fantastic day, got most of my stuff sold on the bring and buy,
Bought a can of very expensive (but very good I'm assured) Deoxit,
and came away with 5 quality bakelite radios and some other odds and ends!
The auction ran well I thought despite the panic and late start!

One thing I did think was a shame and that was during the auction it was brought to our attention that somebody (not known) had left a huge pile of manuals in the car park, these blew all over the place and down the road and the kitchen staff had to clear them all up after a complaint came in from the bowls club next door. We later learned that Mike would also lose his £50 (his own money) deposit as a result.

I only think it right that the individual responsible comes forward (if they read this) to Mike and refunds his expense.

Back on the lighter side many thanks to Mike, the organizers and every body involved with the running of the whole event not forgetting those wonderful people in the kitchen the sandwiches and the cake were top notch as always.

Cheers
Old 1st Jul 2012, 10:32 pm   #15
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I had a really enjoyable day meeting up with everyone and buying two radios from the auction and an interesting little signal generator from Neil. The refreshments from the kitchen were of the usual high standards.
I hope that Mike does not lose his deposit and whoever left those TV manuals in the car park comes forward.
Old 1st Jul 2012, 10:54 pm   #16
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

It's OK, I will not be losing my £50 Deposit on the hall as it was cleared up without it becoming a real problem. It was a complaint from the members of the Bowls Club that was the embarrassment.

Still all sorted and a member very kindly offered to take the stuff away and dispose of it for me rather than it being more for me to deal with. I appreciated that gesture.

Many Thanks to everyone who supported the event. It was certainly a good one with an auction turnover of £10,200!

All the best,

Mike.
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 12:07 pm   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes it was a really good, albeit long, day! I got there around 7:30am (Mike and others were already there and unloading) and we didn't get away until after 7pm. The large auction (over 300 lots) and late start of the auction didn't help, however the paying and collecting etc at the end went smoothly which certainly did help.

A couple of lots were moved well out of place during the auction viewing which meant we couldn't find and sell them in the auction. This caused slight delays, and also no doubt frustration for the vendors. So can I ask in future if people do pick up items during the viewing, that they return them to approximately the correct place in the lot number sequence.

There was some very interesting items in the auction, especially the 1920s sets. I don't know how prices compared to previous sales of similar items (home made sets can be difficult to compare) but Mike didn't seem to be struggling to get bids as much as some previous auctions. A couple of lots that didn't reach their reserves were sold at the reserve straight after the auction.

I'm pleased Mike has managed to sort out the deposit issue. I believe it took a bit of diplomacy, so I'm sure an apology from the person/people responsible to Mike would be appreciated. He'd already had a stressful day and didn't need this!

I didn't buy much, but didn't plan to because of lack of space in my new flat and lack of cash. I bought a Roberts R900 in the auction for £8 which, once I've fixed the very noisy volume control, will be used in my bedroom. I also bought a Sky remote control from a stall-holder for £1 which will replace the "universal replacement" one I currently have. Plus I inherited a DVD player with a sticking drawer that someone left behind at the bring-and-buy stall, which will be used with my bedroom TV once I've fixed it. I sold a box of small transistor radios in the auction for £10, so with the £1 sellers commission I broke even on the day.

The catering was well up to the usual standard, and the strawberries and cream cake and the peach and raspberry cake were superb!

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 1:48 pm   #18
ajs37
Heptode

Another good day! Thanks to all who made it possible! Not as many of us 'punters' as usual, possibly owing to the weather and the M4 closure earlier on, but there were enough to make it an interesting auction - hopefully the stallholders found it worthwhile as well. Good to catch up with people / make new acquaintances and swap stuff.

I bought 2 radios I have been looking for for years - a KB Masterpiece and a RI Ritz Airflo in the auction - I had never seen either radio in the flesh until yesterday - needless to say, I'm a happy bunny!

I also disposed of some soldering irons / electrical fittings / tools at the B&B (mainly for BVWS funds) and delivered a few radios to people (of course, all the space created is now taken up with what I bought home!)

I really appreciate all the hard work that the 'Team' put into these events - and the good humour the pervades the whole day
Thanks again!

Andy
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 4:08 pm   #19
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I too rather fancied that Ritz Airflow - lovely looking set (they apparently also did a telly with a similarly styled grill).

Can't believe how cheaply I got some pre-war Wireless World magazines. Would have taken me years to assemble the five complete sets I bought.

Nobody wanted me scopes though; fortunately someone rescued the Tek547 afterwards, but alas the Solatron scope is destined to become the property of the council (minus its good bits) ... it'd be there now if it'd stop flamin' raining !

Missed out on some 20's radios, but did get one nice single valve swinging coil receiver that I liked. Had to sit on my hands to stop me buying the 8 valve 20's superhet that went for very little. With hindsightI wish I'd bid on it.

As ever, a good day out, and thanks again Lee for helping out at the end.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 12:26 pm   #20
dakster
Tetrode

Any idea if the AD65 sold / if its sill for sale ?
Closed Thread