UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2010, 2:26 pm   #1
ajs37
Heptode

Default BVWS bulletin!

Mine just came through the door - brilliant calender! - got to go now - lots to read!
Cheers
Andy
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 5:33 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BVWS bulletin!

Yes, my bundle from the BVWS landed with a heavy thump on the doormat this morning too.

We have the traditional larger winter bulletin, the new calendar, the BVWS handbook, the DVD, and the usual inserts.

Please don't forget to complete and return the yellow form, with payment if due. Best to do it straight away so you don't forget and to avoid Graham having to chase you later.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 6:14 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Great news - something to look forward to this evening then!
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 7:32 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Hopefully, therefore, the overnight pony express is currently bringing mine in the direction of Cumbria.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 8:15 pm   #5
Retired
Heptode

Hi Paul,

I'm looking forward to receiving my bundle.

Just a question as you mention payment if due; would it be possible to set up for direct money transfer from a bank to the BVWS?

Kind regards, Col.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 8:21 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
Just a question as you mention payment if due; would it be possible to set up for direct money transfer from a bank to the BVWS?
As a past treasurer of the BVWS we always liked members who paid for 3 years. Less work for everyone. Standing orders are a nuisance as rates can change. I did handle a few BACS transfers in my time but they were exceptions and I don't know if the BVWS still accepts them. Credit card payments are surcharged to cover the extortion racket run by the banks.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 8:41 pm   #7
Retired
Heptode

Hi Jeffrey,

Many thanks for your reply. I pay a number of bills online and was hoping to make a direct one off payment for the three year subscription and don't mind paying a bit extra to cover any bank charges.

I don't pay anything via standing order and only have a debit card that I handle as though it is on fire; I don't have a credit card and don't want one also I've never written a cheque out; I know I'm a dinosaur but by being careful with money (OK tight then) I managed to retire aged 53 ten years ago.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 6:00 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

You can pay by credit or debit card over the phone but not online. If we set up online card payments they would be more expensive still due to the fees charged by WorldPay or whatever other payment gateway we used.

If neither cards or cheques are practical then you can pay in cash at an event, though you won't get the Spring Bulletin unless you are paid up by then.

If you want to discuss the possibility of a direct transfer then give Graham a call and see if that's viable. I think the problem would be linking payments into the account with members as there isn't always a reference number with one-off transfers.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Nov 2010, 6:06 pm   #9
raditechman
Heptode

Just opened mine. The calendar is lovely, with fine quality pictures. Worth the membership just for that. Well done.

Now to start reading the magazine.

John
Old 24th Nov 2010, 6:09 pm   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Another club (of which I'm currently treasurer) has an online card payment facility for subs using Paypal. Can also take normal Paypal payments. We get done for 5% but then the bank used to charge the BVWS about that. I don't know how it was set up, it was done by the webmaster before I became treasurer.

The treasurer of another club is also a forum member. I won't name the person or the club - they can make their own posting if they want. I think they have closed their merchant services account with their bank and moved entirely to Paypal for online payments.

It might be useful for the BVWS to look at this.

PS: Forgot to say that the Xmas mailing is definitely a lavish one this year. We can certainly see where our subs are going and it's all good.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 8:13 pm   #11
Retired
Heptode

PayPal would be good for me. It is simple to set up because once registered all that is needed is an email address to send the money to. I buy many items online and always check that the seller accepts PayPal.

I find PayPal to be secure and all my purchases are guaranteed as is payment to the recipient. To set up a PayPal account is easy by logging onto PayPal and following the simple steps; there are a number of security steps to complete and an email address is required which also is checked; I've been with PayPal for quite a few years and am UK verified. One step I recall was PayPal paying two small amounts into my bank account then I had to confirm the amounts.

Once a PayPal account is set up then it is just like a normal bank account where I can log on using my email address and password then I can check my account activity; I can also receive payments.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but for me paying by PayPal cuts out all the hassle of phone calls; credit card; cheques or postal orders etc. The recipient pays the PayPal charges so I'm happy to pay this cost just for my convenience and guarantee that the money has in fact been paid and recorded unlike sending things through the normal post.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 8:14 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
the Xmas mailing is definitely a lavish one this year. We can certainly see where our subs are going and it's all good.
Indeed, there was a heavy thud as the BVWS mailing (so much more than just a bulletin) came through the door today. I'm looking forward to a good read tonight.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 24th Nov 2010 at 8:16 pm. Reason: quote added
Old 24th Nov 2010, 9:46 pm   #13
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Don't forget there is also an almighty whack on money coming from overseas for 'currency conversion' with Paypal. I found that out the hard way.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 10:05 pm   #14
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Don't forget there is also an almighty whack on money coming from overseas for 'currency conversion' with Paypal. I found that out the hard way.
When overseas members use Paypal to pay subs for the Player Piano Group (of which I'm treasurer) the amounts are shown in £££ on the website and that's what we get. Obviously less the 5% or so fee. What the sender pays in local currency I have no idea.

I've been told there are more complex Paypal schemes that are suited to larger businesses. Lower % fee but additional fixed fee per transaction and monthly fixed fee too.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 11:19 pm   #15
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That's interesting. I stopped using my ebay account due to the sheer amount I was paying in fees. The cork in the bottle was a sale to Asia on which I had been charged extra for incoming currency conversion. I then asked if I could also charge a few percent extra for those who use Paypal and was told no. That was it.

Jeffrey seems to be saying that there is a way to pass on Paypal fees?

Anyway I'm wandering miles off topic.
Old 25th Nov 2010, 1:25 am   #16
paulsherwin

This seems to be a good point to draw this thread to a close. I don't have to remind anybody that eBay remains a touchy subject here
Old 25th Nov 2010, 10:22 am   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Although the thread is closed I will mention that we have a BVWS committee meeting on the afternoon before Wootton Bassett, and I have asked for "Alternative membership renewal methods" to be added to the agenda. I can promise nothing more than that it will be discussed.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread