UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2019, 1:47 am   #41
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Extinct or very hard to find sets (625 lines to 1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
There still seems to be a supply of 9" Sonys, probably because they could be stowed away & forgotten about for a long time.

Also 1970s 12 Inch B&W sets by most of the other Japanese brands seem to survive, though some of the more stylish ones are at Hipster prices.

Considering the poor quality of some Eastern European sets, there are a lot of 5 inch Vega & Rigondas surviving, probably because they didn't take up a lot of space & kept until found in a clearout.
I wouldn't say the Eastern European sets were poor quality. They were certainly cheap, but that was because they were produced in state-owned factories subsidised by the Communist governments. Their objective was not so much about making profit, but to give jobs to local people and produce goods for export in order for the government to earn foreign currency.

As well as the Iskra (Yugoslavian) TV I mentioned, which still works very well, I also have a few Rigonda / Vega mini TVs. They are quite well made and designed to be repaired. The printed circuit boards fold out for ease of service. Unfortunately the line output transformer failed occasionally. Replacement parts were not so easy to obtain in the UK. Consequently, many British TV repair shops dismissed these sets as not worth repairing, given their low cost.

I must also mention my rare Turkish CIHAN 17" black and white TV, built around 1980 and still working. Original post https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show...0&postcount=60

You are right, in that small portable TVs are more likely to survive than large screen sets. They are easier to store, plus they were often not used as much, sometimes only on camping holidays or in guest bedrooms. When only used a little, they can last a very long time. The switch to digital broadcasting and LCD technology was the final nail in the coffin for the CRT portable TV.

As for the Bush TV22 and DAC90A radio, both had a fairly long production run, they were small enough to store away easily and they were from an era when electrical things were expensive and valued by their owners. That's an important point. Now, at the dump, I see 3 year old LCD TVs in the e-waste container. Some of them probably still work. But because new TVs are now relatively cheap, people don't value them anymore or consider them worth keeping or repairing.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 2:09 am   #42
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Also does anyone remember the Autovox models sold by Comet
They were imported from Italy during the colour boom, when the indigenous manufacturers (we still had some then) couldn't satisfy demand. The only thing I remember is the class A sound output as with the Thorn 8000, and a noisy choke. I believe Italy didn't have colour then ironically.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 8:57 am   #43
Colourstar
Octode

I guess this must count as a bit of a rare bird these days - a GEC Fineline Series 2 (with electronic tuning whereas the Series 1 was mechanical). This is the only one I've ever seen. It's a revised version of a series 1 model which looked identical and was also available as a Sobell- possibly the last time that name appeared on a tv.

A retired tv engineer pal of mine assures me he has a 20" Rigonda valve or hybrid b&w set stashed away somewhere. He says it has a very glossy case but a rather rough-and-ready internal cabinet construction, with splinters being a hazard for tv engineers. He also said it had a metal back. I can't find anything like it online. Maybe it's a Unitra or something else entirely!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fineline1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	178945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fineline2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	178946  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 10:15 am   #44
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Tyne branded sets which were somewhat gargantuan in size and manufactured by a small local outlet in the North East. I doubt that there are any of those left.
The Telpro sets also spring to mind which alledgedly were designed by someone who left Decca after creating the 10 and 30 chassis, the Telpro sets were very, very similar internally to the Decca 10/30 chassis.
I saw a few Tyne branded sets, The place I worked in 1977 to 81 had a selection of most of the more obscure models despite being a Pye dealer. Some I think had come from rental accounts bought from smaller firms.

I found an IF/sound panel for a Tyne in a box of junk recently, I have no idea why I kept that!

We also had a load of 22" EMO French built sets with a strange (well packed with components ) decoder that I believe was some sort of SECAM adapted to PAL circuit they were very heavy for their size as they had a massive mains transformer. They were hybrid with an EL509 and an EY500A.
Parts were becoming hard to find for these so they started to cannibalise sets for parts this went on for a year or so when the service manager got fed up with the pile of robbed sets in the corner of the workshop at that point they were changed over if they came back to the workshop.
I wouldn't think there are any left now...

The Telpro sets were the same circuit as the Decca 30 but a totally different layout the circuit was split into panels like the Decca but the panels were nothing like the Decca ones.
Telpros were a bit easier to work on than the Deccas as they had two chassis holding the panels either side of the tube neck which folded out for access the audio output valve was much easier to get to.

Telpo sets were Varicap tuning which does suggest they were made after the Deccas as they were mostly a mechanical tuner.
Another set I haven't seen for decades is the Telefunken sets based on the Decca 30.. They had a varicap tuner with a row of 7 keys to change channel the same button unit as used by Decca on the later console models but mounted vertically. All of the controls were behind a door.

The 7 key button units were not easy to repair and after a few field engineers had soaked them in switch cleaner (the more you use the better it works kind of thinking... ) started to lose keys and spring apart as the plastic gave up. One of the component suppliers then started doing a replacement kit with an adapter plate to convert to a conventical 6 button unit..

Rich
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:06 pm   #45
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
I must also mention my rare Turkish CIHAN 17" black and white TV, built around 1980 and still working. Original post https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show...0&postcount=60
I've read the thread about this set before, it mostly uses Samsung components & looks in places inside like the BK309 I used to have, though the case resembled the Cap10's which were made in Taiwan IIRC.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:13 pm   #46
Richard_FM
Nonode

I'm a bit too young to remember most of the European sets imported during the colour boom to meet the demand.

Some brands seemed to stop being imported by the 1980s, but I remember the parents of one of my friends having a Normandie TV in the early 1990s, which seemed a smartly designed & high-tech set by the standards of the day.

Talking of slow adaptation of colour, South Korea didn't start broadcasts until 1980, supposedly because their government thought people watching too much TV would harm productivity! Samsung & I presume Goldstar had been making colour sets for export long before then.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 3:51 pm   #47
line sync
Heptode

I remember a colour set from the early 1970`s made by Kuba but never actually seen one.
Two sets I`ve seen one example of are a bush set fitted with the Z179 chassis and another set made by siemens and this was over 30 years ago.
I also remember a Japanese colour portable that was full of valves but cant remember the make , only ever seen the one.
The Korting transmare hybrid also seems thin on the ground.

Robin
Old 24th Feb 2019, 4:33 pm   #48
neil29
Heptode

Hi Steve, I've found a little plastic disc that might just be the missing one from one of the knobs on the GEC set you had from me. i'll take it with me to mikes in may and hopefully it'll fit.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:12 pm   #49
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I think both Sony and Sanyo may have had sets that looked like this. The Siesta chassis looks like partially taken from Thomson application notes, using the TEA2029 (not the TEA2026 that I remebered but similar). I'd like to find out whether their history goes back any further, possibly with license production. Such sets would be quite rare.
It is very 'Thomsonesque' Maarten, I fixed quite a few of these back in the day and could not help but notice the similarities in layout to the ICC series although far simplified they did use the same Thyristor frame output stage as the ICC4 and 5, although the PSU and other circuits were far simpler.

Not bad sets actually
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:26 pm   #50
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Come to think of it... Turkish sets. I've once repaired a Vestel 11AK01 or the like and vaguely remember similarities to Goldstar but could be wrong. I've never seen one again but would like to add one to my collection. I'd very much like to know more about early license production in Turkey. ...

.I know the Indiana chassis was made in Romania and not really rare, but who designed it and was it also made elsewhere?
I think these were designated with the 11AK number retrospectively after the fact, ie, after the Vestal brand appeared.
I have a diagram marked as 11AK01 but this is the same as the Indiana 100, likewise the 11AK02 is the same as the Indiana 200 chassis.

The first "Turkish Bush" sets used the Indiana 100 chassis or as near as makes no difference but later this seemed to show up as an 11AK01.

The first actual Vestal branded chassis I saw in the UK was designated 11AK03, then the 11AK08 and so on.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:40 pm   #51
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by line sync View Post
and another set made by siemens and this was over 30 years ago.
Siemens didn't make their own, so presuming it was a colour set, it could have been a rebranded Blaupunkt or possibly a Barco if it was a Multi/France set.

Last edited by Maarten; 24th Feb 2019 at 5:46 pm.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:43 pm   #52
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Quote:
Come to think of it... Turkish sets. I've once repaired a Vestel 11AK01 or the like and vaguely remember similarities to Goldstar but could be wrong. I've never seen one again but would like to add one to my collection. I'd very much like to know more about early license production in Turkey. ...

.I know the Indiana chassis was made in Romania and not really rare, but who designed it and was it also made elsewhere?
I think these were designated with the 11AK number retrospectively after the fact, ie, after the Vestal brand appeared.
I have a diagram marked as 11AK01 but this is the same as the Indiana 100, likewise the 11AK02 is the same as the Indiana 200 chassis.

The first "Turkish Bush" sets used the Indiana 100 chassis or as near as makes no difference but later this seemed to show up as an 11AK01.

The first actual Vestal branded chassis I saw in the UK was designated 11AK03, then the 11AK08 and so on.
Very interesting! So there's indeed some connection between Indiana chassis and Turkey. I think the old Vestel chassis that I once repaired and reminded me of LG, may have been an 11AK03 - not actually an 11AK01. It needed a startup thermistor (so probably a TDA4601 based power supply), and some high ohm resistor for horizontal feedback was interrupted, giving a vertical line in an otherwise good picture.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 5:55 pm   #53
Red to black
Nonode

Yes the first Turkish Bush's used a TDA4601 PSU with a startup Thermistor and also a TFK (Telefunken version) TDA3562 colour decoder chip which was not fully compatible with the Philips TDA3562A chip, we needed to change two resistor values to fit the latter.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 7:40 pm   #54
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil29 View Post
Would the autovox sets have a 26" tube and a large white cabinet?...
I have encountered two models of Autovox set, one with the White cabinet, which you mention, I think it had a 110 degree tube and a model in a larger teak cabinet possibly with a 90 degree tube although I'm not sure.

The circuitry was identical in both sets as I recall so the Teak model may well have also had a 90 degree tube just in a larger cabinet.

I have only ever seen them with 26" tubes.

Andrew
Old 24th Feb 2019, 8:56 pm   #55
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil29 View Post
Hi Steve, I've found a little plastic disc that might just be the missing one from one of the knobs on the GEC set you had from me. i'll take it with me to mikes in may and hopefully it'll fit.
Excellent, thank you Neil. That would be very welcome!

Steve
Old 25th Feb 2019, 12:37 am   #56
Maarten
Dekatron

I just looked up the schematic for the Vestel 11AK02 chassis, and that's something special, very different from the Indiana 200. It's actually an ITT Digivision chipset chassis :O That must be very rare, a Turkish budget attempt at an high end chassis.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 2:21 am   #57
Pfraser
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by line sync View Post
The Korting transmare hybrid also seems thin on the ground.
I was thinking of that one - I once had 2 of these sets, around 1984-5. One came from a retired TV engineer; he said quite a lot were imported and adjusted for UK use.

I remeber the speaker hinged out to reveal the convergence settings. I had a most educational time with them, in that I learned how great my ignorance was!

Another nomination: the Granada Finlandia set with a square red on/off button next to a black colour killer button, pushbutton tuner and separate bass & treble controls. That was the family set late '70s-early '80s; I had one ex-rental circa 1984.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 3:00 am   #58
ianj
Heptode

My Mum rented a 19" colour dual standard for donkeys years from Mr Landsdownes electrical business and it was a Peto-Scott ( looked the same as a Philips G6 ) and I have never , since 1982 when it went ( the shop closed down and it was collected) seen another.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:24 am   #59
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The late single standard non-Thorn monos are rare now - the Decca 2020 springs to mind, also the ITT VC200 and (despite the fine example above) the GEC Series Two.
All the imported 26" sets that weren't used by the rentals from the Seventies are pretty rare - Kuba , ASA, Autovox, Siemens (I have no idea who made them), Blaupunkt, EMO and Finlux for example. Early Korting, Grundig, Saba, continental ITT and Telefunken hybrids are probably almost extinct.
It's analogous to the car world - an MGB is quite common; a Mk 5 Cortina less so, though they outsold the MGB by a huge factor.
Old 25th Feb 2019, 11:36 am   #60
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Re Post #54
I was at Comet (Sandiacre) in the mid-seventies, and we had some of the first Autovox models that the firm bought. They all needed a mod on the tube base P.C.B. (video outputs) to give more video gain, as they produced a weakly contrasted picture otherwise.
Apart from this, they were a fairly good and reliable set. I obtained one for a relative, and he had it for at least twelve years (we lost touch) without any faults occurring.
A lot better to work on than some contemporary sets! Tony.
Closed Thread