UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2016, 5:58 pm   #1
Tascam424
Retired Dormant Member

Default Total Newbie with a 330

Hi folks, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I have recently inherited an old phone. It says Standard London, Made in England on the front and on the base it is marked 330 . PX/51/2A 4509J TFG. So I believe this to be a GPO 330 Series, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The phone appears to have been modified with a new BT Line Cord which appears to be wired correctly in the following manner.

T10 - T11 Strap Removed
T11 - T12 Strap Removed
T8 - T9 Strap Inserted
T1 - T2 Strap Inserted
3.3K ohm resistor between T11 and T12.
Red of line cord to T9
White of line cord to T1
Blue of line cord to T11
Green of line cord to T3

Again please correct me if this is wrong.

All appears to be working fine at my friend's house, but when I plug it in at home, numbers are not recognised when I dial out. It receives calls fine.

I'm hoping someone can possibly point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 6:37 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Total Newbie with a 330

Are you on Virgin Cable or any other non-conventional landline telephone service? Some of those don't accept pulse (rotary) dialling.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 7:02 pm   #3

I got one of these for the missus 706 http://www.rotatone.co.uk/ TalkTalk does accept pulse dialling but it's handy to have for # etc..

Old 23rd Nov 2016, 7:54 pm   #4
Tascam424
Retired Dormant Member

No, both properties are with BT, very possibly on the same exchange as they are only a couple of miles apart.

Thanks for your suggestions !
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 11:25 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tascam424 View Post
No, both properties are with BT, very possibly on the same exchange as they are only a couple of miles apart.
Are you absolutely certain about that? You both might be on the edge of the curtilage of different exchanges. There has to be a boundary somewhere and geography does not necessarily assume you'll be on the same exchange as someone down the road.

Have you tried another loop-disconnect telephone on your line? One that you know works elsewhere?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 8:56 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I got one of these for the missus 706 http://www.rotatone.co.uk/ TalkTalk does accept pulse dialling but it's handy to have for # etc..
Or if you don't fancy messing about with the internals (or prefer to keep the 'phone itself unmodified), you could use a Dialgizmo instead.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 1:57 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

They could have a line from another service provider running over BT lines. It's called Local Loop Unbundling. Just because it comes from the BT exchange over (Openreach) copper network doesn't necessarily mean the service/dial tone comes from BT. Other service providers have their kit in "our" exchanges.

Put a push button tone dial phone on it and dial 17070.
If you get " This circuit is defined as (the telephone number). Welcome to your Openreach line test facilities. Please......"

then it's a BT number. If the line concerned has the CLI withheld then prefix above with 1470( so 1470 17070)

Anything else and it's a non BT line.
Old 29th Nov 2016, 9:47 pm   #8
Oldcodger
Nonode

Is the line configured for pulse ? I just hook up phone to line ,get dial tone and tap the hook springs once or twice. If you break dial tone, then line accepts pulse dialling.
Old 29th Nov 2016, 9:58 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
'Is the line configured for pulse ? I just hook up phone to line ,get dial tone and tap the hook springs once or twice.'
You must be very careful doing this, as you might inadvertently dial 1-1-2, which is the Emergency Services, and you'll have some explaining to do...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Nov 2016, 9:31 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

Usually one tap is enough to break dial tone , as I'm well aware of this . However, I'd imagine that 112 takes you to BT operator ,and if you talk nicely to them and admit wrong number in the correct manner, they will accept it as that.
Old 1st Dec 2016, 12:49 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

Incidentally, that is the whole reason why 999 was used for the emergency services in the first place!
Old 1st Dec 2016, 7:32 pm   #12
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Well, part of the reason
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 3:00 pm   #13
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The ease with which a Dial No 9 or 11 could be modified to allow free calls was the real reason that 999 was adopted. '0' for the Operator could already by dialled by those two dials because of a little screw on the auxiliary cam. By adding another screw a '9' could also be dialled 'for free' and few folk had a number consisting of 9's and 0's ! Other 'reasons' have appeared since!

Ian
Closed Thread