UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2012, 8:37 pm   #1
boiss
Pentode

Default Super regen for mw

In a superegen for mw what is best a triode or a pentode for the input stage. Pentode for RF and Detector and Triode for Audio PA?
boiss
Old 16th May 2012, 10:10 pm   #2
boiss
Pentode

Default Re: Superegen for mw

Sorry Guys and Gals, Changed my mind, need a circuit for Superhet RX using
pentodes, Audio O/P stage not important but up to Audio O/P stage must only use 3 pentode bottles.
Boiss
Old 17th May 2012, 12:33 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well since it sounds like one will have to be the local oscillator, maybe you could reflex the IF to do duty as 1st AF, or perhaps have a fixed frequency regenerative detector stage instead. Otherwise you will need a high gain output stage.

Of course if you're just using it as a tuner to feed a separate amplifier, then a conventional circuit (apart from the pentode LO and mixer) would be fine, though a solid state diode will be needed for detection / agc.

Feb 1960 Practical wireless gave a circuit for a complete radio using five 6k7 pentodes. The mixer and IF stages of this sound like what you might want.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th May 2012, 10:15 pm   #4
boiss
Pentode

Herald,
those were some interesting ways to go, Had another thought, I seem to remember some solid state direct conversion Rxs being touted some time back, was wondering if anyone had seen a valved set using direct conversion.
B
Old 25th May 2012, 11:43 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Yes, but I can't remember where. It used an ECC81 in an emitter-coupled push-pull oscillator driving the deflection electrodes of a 7360 beam-deflection valve as a mixer, then an ECC82 as a balanced-to unbalanced audio amplifier.

As a Direct Conversion receiver it's not suitable for AM demod unless you phase lock it to the incoming signal. SSB and CW are its forte.

For AM a superhet is easier. If you want to stay thermionic, there are a lot of detectors/AGC built with 6H6 or 6AL5 double diodes. (A double diode works wonders! to nobble an old advert.)

The standard recipe for a solid state DC RX was to use an oscillator and buffer to provide +7dBm drive into an MD108 or equivalent diode ring mixer, then discrete bipolar audio amp (An NE5534 opamp would also be good here)

David
Old 25th May 2012, 11:46 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

There's an example here:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...matic_6ME8.png

Look up homodyne or synchrodyne or just direct conversion receiver in Google or W.H.Y. You'll have to sift a bit for valve (tube) stuff.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 4:47 pm   #7
boiss
Pentode

Hi Herald,
That looks like a nightmare to set up !!!
I thought that for direct conversion, the LO works at the received frequency
the "IF" being an audio amp with a BW of about 5KHz. The advantage would be that there would not be a tracking error between the front end tuning and the LO freq. I have no problem with an IC filter/audio amp, I seem to remember one that used the ferrite core of a TV LOPT but I don't remember where. I don't want to use more than 4 valves (3 x Beam Tetrodes and a Triode) which I have, and only these are to be seen!
B
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 5:49 pm   #8
boiss
Pentode

Ok, have found a LPF circuit (IC) for 5KHz and 8KHz with a 20dB roll off, I have an MD108 that I reckon I can use as the mixer, The LO bottle will have to run at a very low level to avoid injection into the RF stage. This may be rather hard to acheive elegantly due to the visibility of the valves and RF tuning coil(s). Valved line-up will be RF amp,LO,AF pre and AF O/P.
B
Closed Thread