UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:06 am   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default 746 Microphone Problem?

I know pretty much nothing about phones, but I've recently obtained an old 746 telephone which I've put into regular use as an extension. Several people have told me, though, that my voice is fairly faint - so presumably I need a new mic for this?

Are they still obtainable, and can someone recommend a supplier?

Alternatively, if it's unlikely to be the mic, is there anything else I can do? The extension cable is very long - probably about 30 metres or so, and could be shortened (but only with a lot of work drilling through walls and passing the cable through a loft space). I'm assuming this isn't the problem though as I can hear callers without any problem.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Graham
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:14 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 746 Microphone Problem?

Hi Graham,

Try replacing the mic. first of all as the old carbon granule microphones do fail. The preferred replacement is a special electronic one (red plastic case with an IC made by Ferranti inside) called a "transmitter 21A". They turn up on eBay, and someone here was selling them recently (do a forum search).

The length of your extension wire is irrelevant; these phones were designed to work on wires several miles long!

Nick.
Old 19th Nov 2009, 11:40 am   #3
GrahamN
Hexode

Thanks Nick

I'll try and find one and see how it goes.

Graham
Old 19th Nov 2009, 1:40 pm   #4
SeanStevens
Octode

I have some - Send me a Personal Message and we can sort out details.

SEAN