UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2008, 12:04 am   #1
OldFuddyDuddy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pulse to tone converter

Early in 2007 DoctorWho opened a thread about pulse and tone converters. The thread indicated that a US converter from Sandman was compatible with UK equipment. My understanding is that the Sandman unit does not handle star and hash, but I've seen a Rotatone converter on the web which has this functionality http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-t...converter.html

Does anyone know if the Rotatone converter is compatible with UK equipment? All posts welcomed by this newbie old-fuddy-duddy who wants to use his old dial phones....

Last edited by Darren-UK; 18th Oct 2009 at 10:06 pm. Reason: Sandman link removed (seems to be non existent now) and OPW link fixed.
Old 8th May 2008, 7:58 am   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pulse to tone converter

I'm probably being stupid here - but how would you generate star and hash signals with a dial in the first place?
Old 8th May 2008, 10:40 am   #3
Station X

You might find that your telephone line will accept both pulse and tone dialling. Many lines do.

As for * and hash from a dial phone try emailing the seller and asking him.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:08 am   #4
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I've used the US unit wich is superb, but as for * and # I don't see how you can generate those with a dial telephone. I have no complaints at all about the American converter, and I just plug in a converter to convert the RJ11 US socket to a British Telecom socket (complete with ringing condenser) and you effectively have a master socket which converts pulse to tone.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:54 am   #5
OldFuddyDuddy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all for your replies.
StationX - Since moving area I've not been able to use pulse dialling, so the new exchange must be tone only :-( Have emailed the seller and will post the reply.
DoctorWho said "I've used the US unit which is superb". I assume this is the Sandman converter, not the Rotatone. I've yet to decide which to get, but is it the case that any US pulse to tone unit will work with BT lines provided I get an RJ11-to-BT adapter? If so, where do I source the adapter?
Old 8th May 2008, 2:11 pm   #6
OldFuddyDuddy
Retired Dormant Member

Since last posting I've discovered that the Rotatone converter generates star and hash by using using 1 and 2 with the dial held against the finger rest before releasing the dial. This method is also used for last no. redial. Rotatone also publish a wiring diagram for 746 phones, which addresses the question about UK compatability.
The only question remaining is: Has anyone used this converter and would they rate it?
Old 8th May 2008, 4:25 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFuddyDuddy View Post
The only question remaining is: Has anyone used this converter and would they rate it?
I have a Rototone (installed in a 746). As you say, it accesses the extra features such as * & #, last number redial and memory dial etc, by holding the appropriate number against the finger stop until a code tone is heard.

On the whole, I find it works quite well, though the playback of the tones sounds a little odd compared with other memory-dial 'phones. It works fine though.

Two caveats which I would make are:
1: Take very very seriously the comments in the intructions about ensuring that the dial contacts are clean. I did have problems initially, despite having cleaned them what I thought was thoroughly, but had to take the dial apart and clean the contacts again before it would work reliably.
2: I had difficulty storing numbers in the memory dials - seemingly caused by that helpful lady coming on to tell me to "please replace the handset and try again". In the end I resorted to doing this with the 'phone connected to a "quiet line" (in my case, the Skype adaptor on my computer).

Please note that there are two versions of the Rototone, one which plugs in between the 'phone and the line, and the other which is wired internally between the 'phone circuitry and the dial. The above refers to to the latter.

The unit which plugs between the 'phone and the line does not permit the use of * and #, nor the other additional facilities.
Old 8th May 2008, 5:07 pm   #8
OldFuddyDuddy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dave for info about the Rotatone. Although clearly an old fuddy duddy I think it would be impossible to connect with the world without star & hash, so the Rotatone is the one to go for and has the edge on the Sandman. Thanks also for all replies - this is a very helpful forum and particularly encouraging for a newbie.
Of course I may be back on this thread when I attempt to install the internal converter!
Old 9th May 2008, 10:10 pm   #9
mikens65
Retired Dormant Member

As Rotatones developer I thought I'd jump in with a couple of comments.

Firstly the unit was developed in the UK, and works fine on anything its been tested on.

Secondly clean contacts are necessary because only 'signal level' currents pass through them after installation rather than line current... on the positive side once clean the contacts won't suffer further erosion!

The installation of a Rotatone at its simplest is just the unit on its own... however to ensure compatibility on either polarity and at all levels of line current then it is recommended that a zener diode and a bridge rectifier are also fitted. These items are supplied with the Rotatones sold in Canada and in the UK.

By the way, new feature ideas for Rotatone development are always welcome. The 'hotline' facility (that allows one of the stored numbers to be dialled when the phone goes off hook) was added at the request of a collector of dial-less phones!

Mike
Old 10th May 2008, 2:21 pm   #10
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks for this information about the Rotatones, where can you buy these in the UK please?
Old 10th May 2008, 4:13 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I would suggest that you contact Mike directly by PM.
Old 27th May 2008, 9:17 pm   #12
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikens65 View Post
As Rotatones developer I thought I'd jump in with a couple of comments.

Firstly the unit was developed in the UK, and works fine on anything its been tested on.

Secondly clean contacts are necessary because only 'signal level' currents pass through them after installation rather than line current... on the positive side once clean the contacts won't suffer further erosion!

The installation of a Rotatone at its simplest is just the unit on its own... however to ensure compatibility on either polarity and at all levels of line current then it is recommended that a zener diode and a bridge rectifier are also fitted. These items are supplied with the Rotatones sold in Canada and in the UK.

By the way, new feature ideas for Rotatone development are always welcome. The 'hotline' facility (that allows one of the stored numbers to be dialled when the phone goes off hook) was added at the request of a collector of dial-less phones!

Mike
This sounds great, will you be making a rototone to be fitted at the line.
(no need for putting somthing in to the phone)

I want to use it here in Norway, the system should probably be quite equal to US/Canada.

Or to GB line in, but we have no master socket. all equal.
No regulations for ringers, jus a max of 2 + 1 fixed extra ringer. 1 Khom ringer in series with 1 uF.

dsk
Old 28th May 2008, 10:54 am   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagskarlsen View Post
will you be making a rototone to be fitted at the line.
(no need for putting somthing in to the phone)
See the third item down on this page.

Please note, as it says there, that you cannot use "*", "#" and speed dial facilities this way. After all, the only information coming from the 'phone is the Loop Disconnect pulses. The internal unit depends upon the state of the "dial off-normal" contacts to access its additional functions.
Old 28th May 2008, 2:21 pm   #14
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I was quite sure the voltage drop on line when holding the dial, wold be so great, and differ from voltage drop in off hook state (released dial) so it was possiblwe to do the same.
Some of my telphones even just short the line when moving the dial, some is in series with the coil, an shorts the transmitter and receiver.

Thank you anyway.

dsk
Old 28th May 2008, 3:07 pm   #15
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Perhaps Mikens65 could clarify whether there would be anything reliably detectable on the line as a result of "dial and hold". Personally, I assume not, otherwise presumably it would have been incorporated into the inline Rotatone.
Old 19th Oct 2008, 11:54 pm   #16
DougChandler
Retired Dormant Member

Does anyone know where to get the Rotatone from in the UK? I don't really want to pay for transit from Canada if I can get it in the UK.

Thanks.

Doug
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:47 am   #17
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I would suggest that you make contact with member "mikens65" who can be found earlier in this thread.

If you click on the membername or avatar in his post there will be an option to send him a "private message".

edit: I have sent you a private message (PM) with further information.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 20th Oct 2008 at 12:01 pm. Reason: PM sent
Old 20th Oct 2008, 2:54 pm   #18
DougChandler
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the PM Dave, the reason I hadn't PM'd Mike was that I do not have the option to PM anyone it seems, I was thinking that it was not enabled on this forum but I see you can PM me but I cannot reply to you.

Many thanks for the information you sent me.

D
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 6:00 am   #19
beermug
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Mike I have been doing an endless websearch to find a solution for my candlestick phone.
I recently went over to voip phone service from my local cable company and they don't support pulse dialing, I saw your rotatone unit on the website and was wondering if this is the best answer to my problem.

I have previously got a dialerbuddy LPT300 inline adapter and it didn't work. Any suggestion will be appreciated. I own a western electric AL-151 with subscriber box that worked fine with the old landline.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 22nd Dec 2008 at 6:49 am. Reason: FSK fixed.
Old 13th Feb 2009, 7:41 pm   #20
PaulR
Dekatron

I have recently bought a Rotatone intending to use it with a 200 series phone which has a No 44 "bellset" (no bell in this of course). The connections for the Rotatone itself are easy enough but I am puzzling over connecting the rectifier and diode.

At present the red, white and blue wires are connected to terminals 3, 1 and 18 respectively on the bellset. These go to terminals 3, 1 and 2 on the phone itself. Is there any way I can connect the rectifier leaving the bellset working? I find being able to put a call on hold by turning the lever to "Hold Exch" quite useful. One problem will be that there don't seem to be any spare terminals on the phone itself, but if I get round this in some probably inelegant way would I simply connect the wires that went to 1 and 3 to the bridge's AC inputs and + and - to 1 and 3, leaving the blue lead and phone terminal 2 connections alone?

Thanks

Paul
Closed Thread