UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2018, 11:14 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Magic Eye Valves from Russia.

Hi.
I'm contemplating the purchase of a Russian replacement for a life expired Mullard EM34 from the Ukraine via eBay.

Is was wondering if others had experience of doing the same - and - if their purchase had import charges applied by HMRC?

TIA.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 2:13 am   #2
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Default Re: Magic Eye Valves from Russia.

I had no problem with Customs when I bought a fair quantity 10 years ago, but the political situation has changed and prices increased since.
The threshold is officially £15 including postage, and I can see some for sale for less than that, so no problem!
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 7:34 am   #3
Stockden
Heptode

I bought 2 not so long ago (within the last year) and had no problems either with the supplier or with import charges.

Hugh
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 9:26 am   #4
steve102
Pentode

I recently bought two NOS 6E5S from Russia without any issues.

I've used one to replace a dim 6E5 in a Marconiphone 537 radio. I made an adaptor to connect the 6E5S octal base to the original 6 pin valve holder.

Steve

Last edited by steve102; 22nd Jul 2018 at 9:27 am. Reason: typo
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 10:32 pm   #5
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Thanks guys
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 10:54 pm   #6
Techman
Dekatron

I've bought two lots of power output valves from sellers in the Ukraine and not had a problem with import duties etc. However, I'm not sure if this is to do with what the sender actually declares on whatever paperwork has to be filled in at that end and I've just been lucky - the lots of valves that I've bought were a lot more than £15 a time. I originally asked the first seller I bought from about whether there would be any problems with extra postage/duty costs and he sent me a brief message back in very broken English basically saying not to worry as there'd be no problem - and there wasn't.
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 9:46 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Russian Eyes are reputed to be very durably made and stay bright for a long time!

EM34:-

Pin 1 IC, Pin 2 h, Pin 3 a'/d', Pin 4 g, Pin 5 t, pin 6 a"/d", pin 7 h, Pin 8 k,g'

6E5S:-

Pin 1 NC, Pin 2 h, Pin 3 a/d, Pin 4 NC, Pin 5 g, Pin 6 t, Pin 7 h, Pin 8 k,g'

Transfer the grid/a.g.c. lead from Pin 4 to pin 5, transfer the +h.t. lead from Pin 5 to pin 6, disconnect the end of the 1M (usually) anode resistor from pin 3 that connects to pin 5 and reconnect to pin 6, completely remove the 1M resistor between pin 5 and pin 6, the cathode/heater wiring on pins 2, 7 & 8 is unchanged.

On completion, you should have:-

a) Lead from a.g.c. line (originally pin 4) reconnected to pin 5;

b) One 1M resistor connected between pin 3 and pin 6, with the +h.t. lead originally connected to pin 5 reconnected to pin 6;

c) The cathode and heater wiring on pins 2, 7 & 8 unchanged!

The 6E5S is not quite as sensitive as either shadow of the original EM34, but try adding a 47k-100k resistor in series with the target-anode lead to pin 6 if you don't get enough deflection!

Sometimes Russian eyes slipped thro' their manufacturing with mechanical inaccuracies, but most reputable sellers should exchange it if you get a poor one!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 23rd Jul 2018 at 9:54 pm.
Closed Thread