UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2008, 4:50 pm   #21
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pentodes as grounded-grid RF amps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
For true comparison, you'd need to do the calculations, and at this point I'd have to say I've never done any RF noise calculations (or made a 100MHz RF amplifier). But, this is my gut feeling - best practice would be use a cascode double-triode amplifier, a triode mixer, and a separate triode oscillator. Four triodes!
More valves more cost.. however I must say I like your design ideas

mike
Old 1st Feb 2008, 5:17 pm   #22
Neil Breward
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I I can't immediately find any references to support my claim but this website is interesting:

http://wb0nni.dakotamade.com/ggbasic.html
Jeff - sorry, didn't notice this earlier. Interesting web site, but anyone who starts off saying:-

" Input signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the output signal, virtually eliminating the potential for self-oscillation and tube take-off."

:- when discussing grounded-grid circuits, is really scoring a classic own goal!

Cheers,
Neil
Old 1st Feb 2008, 5:47 pm   #23
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Breward View Post
Input signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the output signal, virtually eliminating the potential for self-oscillation and tube take-off."
You're right. I didn't spot that. It's just possible that it's a poor translation for the author's first language is clearly not English.
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 12:43 pm   #24
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Positive feedback leads to oscillation not negative...Yes?
Closed Thread