UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2020, 10:20 am   #21
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: 12 Volt USB Adapters

Yes, it seems there is a later spec. for crude power on USB connectors that came along after I stopped designing USB hosts!

Looking at the spec. which to me is quite hard to follow and appears to have been cooked up after some manufacturers had already started doing their own thing, if your thing shorts the data pins together then it is declaring itself to be a "Dedicated Charging Port".

Given that then I think I would expect it to be able to supply 4.75V at 500mA. Over that it seems to get a bit complicated as there seems to be an assumption that you are charging a battery so the voltage only needs to be enough for that, which could mean as little as 2V at 1.5A.

So what are you finding the voltage to be as you load them up beyond 250mA? (And I presume you are just using a resistive load as they might legally go into a current-limit state if the inrush is high).
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 11:04 am   #22
Superscope
Octode

Once you go past 200mA (With a 12 volt input) the Voltage starts to drop significantly.

The maximum current I got out of it was about 450mA but the Voltage had fallen below 2 Volts.

Yes, I was using a resistive Load.

From the reading I have done since yesterday, it has been suggested that joining Pins 2 and 3
together simply tells the Device plugged in (or is supposed to tell the device)
that the Host can provide up to 1 A.
I have no idea if this is indeed correct, but it was mentioned in several places.

So, in short (excuse the Pun), there is no communication from the Device to the Host.
The communication is only from the Host, simply telling the Device what it can handle. That can be Resistance references between the D pins & 0v or 5v or a Short between the Two D pins.

This is only relevant to universal USB Hosts like the one I am discussing.
Manufacturers like Samsung and Apple could be doing anything within their own products.

I have found quite a few Teardowns on Youtube with these Universal Adapters, and even one
with a £1 Adapter from the Poundshop.
Most actually seem to work.
Just obviously not cheap ubiquitous one I had clearly.

But on the plus side, I have been pointed in a better direction with those other
more profession DC to DC converters and in Hindsight, these will clearly be a safer option anyway.

Ian
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 11:17 am   #23
trsomian
Hexode

I think that the circuit diagram provided by Terry in #18 is missing a link from pin 4 to 0V
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:19 pm   #24
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Checked the datasheet and yes, pin 4 should go to ground in this case (there are other configurations where it is connected to the v-out line).
Old 25th Jun 2020, 6:14 pm   #25
PJL
Dekatron

The 12v USB supply I ordered looks like it will run OK down to 7V and maybe below. It is for powering a USB bluetooth adaptor so a schottky diode off the 6.3V and a capacitor will have it working although I will be adding a little amplifier as the volume is very low. It will end up as a string of chinese made bits.
Old 26th Jun 2020, 12:38 am   #26
jamesperrett
Octode

For the times when I've needed a more efficient version of a 78xx regulator I've found the Traco TSR-1 series to work well. Not as cheap but they always seemed reliable.
Closed Thread