UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2015, 1:28 pm   #41
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-forming electrolytic capacitors.

I used to do the minimum to repair the set in order to preserve originality but having had sets fail again quite quickly after that I tend to replace all the sensitive capacitors.

Having got my power supply I have found that if electrolytics will reform then they tend to be quite reliable and I now try to keep these.
Old 7th Nov 2015, 3:30 pm   #42
stuarth
Heptode

Is capacitor re-forming a good use for a low impedance voltmeter such as an AVO7.

If you just wire the meter on a high VOLTAGE range in series with the HT supply to the capacitor, it will safely limit the current (I use a Siemens Multizet S, a 1kohm/volt meter, so 1mA fsd) and show leakage current flowing in the capacitor.

It can be safely be left unattended because the maximum dissipation in the capacitor will be in the scores of mW, even if the capacitor unexpectedly goes low resistance.

You don't need current limited power supplies - you can just use the set's own supply, or pinch a milliamp from any other convenient source of appropriate HT voltage.

S
Old 8th Nov 2015, 3:09 pm   #43
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The snag with that is that a good electrolytic might take nearly a mA in leakage current. It will work for some caps which end up at very low leakage after reforming, but not for those which happen to have high leakage even when healthy.
Old 9th Nov 2015, 8:12 pm   #44
samjmann
Heptode

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone that replied to my opening question. As ever on this forum replies are knowledgeable, informative and interesting. As engineers we all have our own way of doing things, hence there isn't always an absolute right or wrong way of doing this - circumstances dictate!

I've got an isolated variac, so I'll make up a simple current limited supply to run the Leak's capacitors up for the first time; keeping an eye on the current drawn!

Regards, SJM.

Last edited by samjmann; 9th Nov 2015 at 8:13 pm. Reason: typo error
Closed Thread