UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2016, 8:32 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Tin whiskers in transistors other than the AF11x series.

Hi.

I have experienced tin whiskers affecting an AC188 transistor from a Roberts R707. As has been pointed out, if the whiskers are to the case from either collector, base or emitter then the fault won't show up unless the case of the transistor is connected to anything. The AC188 in the R707 has an heat-sink fitted to it and this is bolted to the chassis.

Out of interest, has anyone come across tin whiskers in an npn device such as AC127 or AC187?

Regards
Symon
Old 29th Apr 2016, 8:44 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_simons View Post
It's one of the strangest phenomenons I know of, nasa has published quite a lot of stuff about this, it even occurs in new unused semiconductors for satellites and such like.
Yes, it's a physical/chemical crystal-growth thing and it occurs irrespective of whether there is any applied electrical 'stimulus' to the transistor(s). 40-year-old new-old-stock unused AF11x transistors come ready-whiskered to trap the unenlightened when they use them as replacements!

Arguing whether it happens more on P-N-P or N-P-N transistors is akin to arguing whether positive- or negative-earth cars rusted faster (the answer is no).
Old 29th Apr 2016, 9:00 pm   #23
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

That's very true about old unused AF11x transistors being afflicted by the tin whisker problem. I have a few in my collection of NOS transistors.

Why is it that some really grotty looking and corroded used AF117s in my collection, taken from scrapped radios, appear to be absolutely fine whereas the clean looking NOS ones in plastic bags are affected?

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 29th Apr 2016 at 9:07 pm. Reason: missing word
Old 29th Apr 2016, 9:24 pm   #24
paulsherwin

What they look like on the outside makes no difference.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 9:56 pm   #25
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
……… when I repeated the diode test on the AC128 I had removed the short circuit had gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
the fault won't show up unless the case of the transistor is connected to anything.
When I tested the removed AC128 I failed to check between the case and each electrode .

I fished it out of the bin and tested it again. It measure less than 20 ohms between the base connection and the case .

So it looks likely that this particular AC128 has a tin whisker problem.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:09 pm   #26
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Sounds like it needs to be cut open...
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:13 pm   #27
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Any advice on that Lucien? Are there any nasty chemicals inside for example?
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:24 pm   #28
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

We've been talking about cases of tin whiskers in European devices, notably Philips/Mullard but have there been any recorded cases of tin whiskers in the Japanese TO-1 style germanium transistors?

Symon.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 11:38 pm   #29
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I'd turn it very slowly in a lathe, to avoid any metal particles getting in that might be mistaken for whiskers, while minimising centrifugal force that might collapse them. I don't think there's anything harmful inside.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 1:02 am   #30
paulsherwin

I agree that there's unlikely to be anything toxic inside. For an amateur investigation you should be able to hold the transistor in a small vice and cut the top off with a Dremmel cutting disc or equivalent. This will contaminate the transistor, but it should be easy enough to distinguish between swarf/dust and tin whiskers using a microscope or even a strong hand lens.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 4:27 am   #31
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Do not assume only old parts affected. I am aware of problems on tin plated screening, like often used on rf screening on pcb modules. I once saw one metal screen with whiskers up to abou 6 mm long on something that was manufactured about 15 years previous. All whiskers that I have seen usually grow at an angle away from the surface.
Some intermittent faults have been caused by these whiskers. Low current areas around cmos are easily affected as well. With the miniaturised equipment today, expect to see more problems.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 8:12 am   #32
turretslug
Dekatron

Not to mention the use of unleaded solder- alloying with lead suppresses tin's tendency to grow whiskers. Critical applications were exempted but consumer items went unleaded. A cynic might venture that modern stuff has a short life-cycle anyway, so whiskering would assist in culling any survivors and make even the stubborn buy new things.

Last edited by turretslug; 30th Apr 2016 at 8:18 am.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 9:10 am   #33
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Arguing whether it happens more on P-N-P or N-P-N transistors is akin to arguing whether positive- or negative-earth cars rusted faster (the answer is no).
Hi.

That's a fair point but it would still be interesting to find out if any npn devices have been found to be affected. From all the cases found so far they appear to have been pnp but then there's significantly less npn germanium devices than pnp types in existence anyway. Perhaps that's the reason why.

Regards
Symon.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 10:50 am   #34
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
but then there's significantly less npn germanium devices than pnp types in existence anyway. Perhaps that's the reason why.
I think you're dead right, Symon. Just statistics

But yes, I have seen the occasional NPN one...
Old 30th Apr 2016, 11:24 am   #35
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It's difficult to see why there would be a difference between PNP and NPN devices. If I understand correctly, the actual semiconductor structure isn't invoved in the whisker growth.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 12:01 pm   #36
ukcol
Rest in Peace

OK, I've opened up my suspect AC128 and pictures are shown below.

I am at the limits of my photographic skills and the technical spec of the camera but I think I can see whiskers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LidWhisker.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	123721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whisker.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	123722  

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 30th Apr 2016 at 1:07 pm. Reason: I ment to show TWO pictures.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 12:17 pm   #37
paulsherwin

You may well be right. It can be difficult to spot them if the grease is opaque. It may help if you use a single LED torch to shine a bright light into it.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 12:35 pm   #38
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Paul,

I edited my post in which there is a better picture.

My reason for editing should read "I meant to show TWO pictures". But the 30 minute editing time has expired so I can't correct it.
Old 30th Apr 2016, 1:37 pm   #39
mhennessy
Dekatron

That's an excellent couple of pictures, Colin - definitely whiskers there

I've had a few of these open themselves up, thanks to hairline cracks in the can - a gentle tug is all you need to pop the can off. Sadly, they didn't have whiskers, but I kept one to photograph (must get around to that!). I think the goo inside looks like silicone grease, but I can't really tell for sure. Amazing to think that it is the only medium to conduct the heat away from the junction...
Old 30th Apr 2016, 2:23 pm   #40
ms660
Dekatron

It might not be the end of the problems, tin is allotropic, it starts below 13 centigrade, white tin turns to pest tin, the resistivity of pest tin is many times higher than white tin so far as I'm aware.

I used to mine this stuff, the most abundant ore is Cassiterite (SnO2) When crushed it can be reduced with charcoal in the Rayburn (or owt else) to produce the metal, if you've got any lead kicking around it should be possible to make yer own solder

Lawrence.
Closed Thread