UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2014, 7:43 am   #1
Dylan85
Pentode

Default SL6270 Integrated Circuit

I've had a bit of a small clearout and have come across quite a few SL6270 devices. These are microphone amplifier / VOGAD devices and are NOS.
Is there still a market for these devices or have they been replaced by a newer equivalent?

Digby
Old 27th Aug 2014, 1:47 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: SL6270 Integrated Circuit

They were one of the Plessey SL6xxxx series of communications ICs and used extensively in home-brew solid state transceiver designs of the late 80s early 90s such as the popular G3TSO and G3TXQ multi-band QRP rigs. When they became obsolete and the likes of Birkett's at Lincoln exhausted their stocks, they were like gold dust and very much sought after.

Don't know the current situation as to demand, but I dare say that in the diminishing home-brew corners of amateur radio, there will be those who would be happy to get their hands on them.

Might be worth tipping off Rev George Dobbs G3RJV of the G-QRP Club to seek his views.
Old 28th Aug 2014, 12:15 am   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I might be interested in taking a couple off your hands. I have successfully used them in hands free kits for mobile transceivers before and as David says, they are getting a bit hard to come by of late. I don't know if they were superseded by a later device but I stick with what I know works. The SLxxxx series of ICs were popular for radio related designs a while back.
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 2:18 pm   #4
Alf
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan85 View Post
I've had a bit of a small clearout and have come across quite a few SL6270 devices. These are microphone amplifier / VOGAD devices and are NOS.
You have a pm
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:58 am   #5
Wendymott
Octode

I recently used the original "Birkett bangers".... but was not too impressed with the performance, as noted in another post, however I was given one of the later SL6270 devices, which seems to be ok..especially with post filtering... not decided yet... whether to incorporate it in my 40M SSB TX yet.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread