UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2016, 3:50 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default G 50c5

Is this G50C5 likely to be anything different from a plain no prefix 50C5. What might the G mean.

Any thoughts please.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g501.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	127684   Click image for larger version

Name:	g502.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	127685  
Old 21st Jul 2016, 5:23 pm   #2
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Default Re: G 50c5

Hi,
This is one of the Brimar 'Trustworthy' range designed to operate reliably under exceptional conditions of vibration and shock in communications and industrial equipment. In every respect it will operate as a standard 50C5.

These valves offer low initial failures, low heater breakdown, low microphonics and noise and low losses from glass failure.

Cheers
Rich
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 7:03 am   #3
G4XWDJim
Octode

Thanks for that Rich. I'd not heard of the 'Trustworthy' range and have a belief, maybe misplaced that high voltage heater valves are only used in cheap domestic stuff.

I do recall however that I have some CV1959 equivalents somewhere which at the time I found them surprised me thinking what military equipment would use a 50 volt heater valve.

This G50C5 does look a small purposeful device though.

Jim
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 7:15 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Don't tell me some clown ran them off the 50V telephone exchange battery...

[Transistors used in old GPO telephone equipment had CV numbers, I could well believe that valves did too]
Closed Thread