UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2016, 1:01 pm   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default A warning about cheap metal film resistors

I just used some metal film resistors from a batch I bought a few years ago for general repairs and projects. These were supposed to serve as current sense resistors in a switching regulator in this instance. Needed 0.25 ohms at 1W so I used 4x no brand 0.25W 1R 1% resistors in parallel. Had these on hand so "it'll do" while I was waiting for some nicer parts to arrive from RS.

Well my regulator was happily churning away until there was an overcurrent situation, part of the regulator testing. Turns out that when they get hot they have a massive negative temperature coefficient and my sense resistor dropped to a paltry 0.05 ohms. This caused a massive measurement error for the poor little MC34063 which understood that it wasn't in an overcurrent situation, which drove all the magic smoke from the outboard MOSFET and the inductor simultaneously. Fun fun fun. Windows open, smoke let out, back to sanity.

A quick check with a DVM, thermocouple and the gas cooker with a few random selected resistors and the things can pretty much drop by 60% in value at 100 degrees C and recover completely with a couple of seconds! On low resistance values that's disastrous.

So ParcelForce just dropped my order off containing some nice Vishay Pro units. Absolutely fine. 50ppm/degree C as described in the datasheet keeping them well in tolerance in overloads.

Moral of the story: buy quality parts. I've just thrown the whole bag of 1280 resistors in the bin.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 4:42 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: A warning about cheap metal film resistors

Negative temperature coefficient resistors = premium price.
You will want some, some day.
Old 14th Jul 2016, 9:04 am   #3
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Hi, Any chance of a pic. of the faulty types, please?
I keep numerous different types of resistors in stock, and would love to know which ones are giving this trouble, as simple ohmmeter testing is not going to reveal this defect. I can then check any I find in my stock,and if the same problem is present, bin them. Cheers, Tony
Old 14th Jul 2016, 2:12 pm   #4
dave cox
Nonode

Certainly not normal to have such a big negative coefficient for something used to make resistors ! It must turn around eventually and go back up but at what temperature ?

dc
Old 14th Jul 2016, 2:31 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I didn't get a photo of the original ones. Similar to the ones depicted below. Not very helpful as most of the metal film varieties look similar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	127397

I've replaced them now with a mix of TE LR1F and Vishay MRS25 resistors from RS. These look like the following (Vishay at top, TE at bottom):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160714_142756202.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	127398

I spent 4 hours yesterday testing and cleaning out my component stock. I'm going to buy new from RS only in future. Cheap components are a false economy (unless you're avoiding Linear Technology...)

As for the question about at what point does the negative coefficient return back to positive: when they start glowing orange (I tried it )
Old 14th Jul 2016, 6:00 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

So when they go positive coefficient again they are all 33K Ohm?

Must check my stocks, lots of surplus resistors.
Old 14th Jul 2016, 7:39 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Haha
Old 14th Jul 2016, 7:47 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

They look very like the Corning ones I used to use, and those were superb. It's a begger when they start faking resistors.

David
Old 14th Jul 2016, 10:55 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Vishay acquired Corning in the 1980's AFAIK (along with Philips/BC/Sprague/Dale/Siliconix etc) so that would explain the similarity.

Some of the best quality parts I've had are from Vishay.
Old 15th Jul 2016, 10:15 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Almost certainly carbon film resistors in disguise. This has been a standard practice in component forgery for years now
Closed Thread