UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2004, 10:49 am   #1
evingar
Octode

Default A computer called LEO

Hi Folks

I have just finished reading an excellent book of the above title by Georgina Ferry. For the misogynists amongst us, who think that " girlies " and " engineering " don't mix, I have to say this is one of the most interesting and well-written books I have read in a long time.

Basically, it deals with the first use of an electronic computer in the world used in a purely commercial application. LEO stands for Lyons Electronic Office. The unlikely company to commission and actually build it themselves were better known for Lyons ice creams and Corner House restaurants.

The book is a tale of British engineering at it best let down, as ever, by un imaginative Govt and usual British conservative - anti engineering / industrial bias

Chris
Old 4th Mar 2005, 9:20 pm   #2
scotty29
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: A computer called LEO

I did some maintenance work on the English Electric Leo in 1957/58 where alot of the research and development was carried out, it was installed in a large building, the control consul was on one floor, and the amps on the top floor, forced fan cooling at the end of each rack, approx 10 racks.

The stabalised power supplies were obtained from Cloud Lyons 3 phase Variacs, controlled by thyratrons (A little unpridictable)

If I remember rightly they used ECC82 & ECC83 by the thousand. Leo was rented out to other companies by the hour to do wages etc.

At the end of the day it could not do much more than your present day calculator.
The English Electric Factory was at Cambridge Road, Whetstone, Leicester.
(Now Anstrom )
Closed Thread