UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2004, 1:46 pm   #1
RobinBirch
Hexode

Default A FORTH based computer

Some time ago, say 20 years?, there was a computer that was completely forth based that was a lot of fun to play with. It wasn't around for very long. I can't remember what it was called but if someone could remind me of it I'd apreciate it. i'd apreciate it even more if someone had one that was looking for a good home

Cheers

Robin

Old 30th Jul 2004, 1:50 pm   #2
jjl
Octode

Default Re: A FORTH based computer

Robin

That would be the Jupiter Ace, there's a review of one from November 1982 here
http://www.gondolin.org.uk/hchof/reviews/yc-ace.html

John
Old 12th Aug 2004, 6:06 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have a Windows based Forth compiler (called WinFORTH) if you want to play with the language. It will run on Windows 3.1 and later. It's about 1MB in size.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Aug 2004, 6:04 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have it as a self-extracting ZIP file. It's LMI WinForth Explorer 1.00. I think it is shareware but I don't know. I can't even remember where I got it from! It's 1993 vintage so I doubt LMI are overly fussed about it anyway. If you were going to use it for producing a piece of software to sell it'd be worth finding out. But for just " playing " with Forth don't worry about it.

It's available here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/attach...c/winforth.exe - size 892K. Choose to save it to your hard drive, then run it to unzip it. It's 16-bit so stick to a short (8 character or less) folder name - the default is C:\Winforth. Then just run FORTH.EXE. There is a help file and some demo files included. I haven't really used it so I don't know how capable it is.

Enjoy!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread