UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2005, 11:21 pm   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Commodore Amiga 4000, Networking to a PC

I have a Amiga 4000 in the following specs

060 Cyperstorm with 128MB ram (50 whole mega hertz)

Toccata Sound card

Cybergraph 643D 4MB GFX card

Amiganet Network card (15 pin D-type and BNC)

GVP 4000 HC+8 SCSI card + 4GB SCSI HDD

154MB total mem, 8GB total HDD space

Understandably, most people must think I am mad, with XP making networking so easy why bother with an Amiga? I fancy the challenge, to see the A4000 on the internet. the problem is I need to know the pin out of the D-type 15 way and possibly the wiring to the RJ45, I would use the BNC but my main PC will not accept the old BNC cards. Can someone help?

Old 24th Feb 2005, 11:35 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Commodore Amiga 4000, Networking to a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man
I have a Amiga 4000 in the following specs

060 Cyperstorm with 128MB ram (50 whole mega hertz)

Toccata Sound card

Cybergraph 643D 4MB GFX card

Amiganet Network card (15 pin D-type and BNC)

GVP 4000 HC+8 SCSI card + 4GB SCSI HDD

154MB total mem, 8GB total HDD space

Understandably, most people must think I am mad, with XP making networking so easy why bother with an Amiga? I fancy the challenge, to see the A4000 on the internet. the problem is I need to know the pin out of the D-type 15 way and possibly the wiring to the RJ45, I would use the BNC but my main PC will not accept the old BNC cards. Can someone help?

The 15 way D is an AUI ethernet port. To convert it to RJ45 (or to BNC) you need a transceiver. Ssomething like this: http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...?quicklinx=6W5

You cannot just make a lead to connect the 15 way D to RJ45.

Another option might be to buy an old 10Mb hub as these often have BNC and RJ45 connections. You then need the screened lead, two T pieces and two terminators.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 25th Feb 2005, 12:56 am   #3
paulsherwin

Paul is quite correct, there is no way to connect an AUI connector to a UTP cable. The AUI port is for an *external* transceiver, and originally all Ethernet interfaces worked that way. Later onboard transceivers were introduced, so you got RJ45 or BNC connectors on the card.

Why do you think you can't get a network card with a BNC interface for your PC? Presumably you're referring to ISA and PCI bus cards, but there are lots of PCI cards which have a BNC interface. If you really, really need one let me know and I'll have a look in the junk box

Best regards, Paul
Old 25th Feb 2005, 7:09 am   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
Why do you think you can't get a network card with a BNC interface for your PC? Presumably you're referring to ISA and PCI bus cards, but there are lots of PCI cards which have a BNC interface. If you really, really need one let me know and I'll have a look in the junk box

Best regards, Paul
It appears my system board does not like older PCI cards, it just will not boot with it in! the cards work in older PC's I have but I don't want to go down the route of having a bridge PC.

Thanks for the help I shall look into that D-link interface.
Old 25th Feb 2005, 6:32 pm   #5
coredump
Triode

I have a few AUI-to-RJ45 transceivers here. I even use them, sometimes, to connect old Sun and DEC gear to modern twisted-pair ethernets. I'll see if I can find a spare one, if you have no luck.

I can also offer you a hub that'll connect a BNC ethernet to a twisted-pair ethernet. It's huge and heavy, of course, but that shouldn't be an obstacle on this forum...
Old 25th Feb 2005, 10:11 pm   #6
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Cheers, I have found a CenterCOM 210TS Twisted pair Transceiver (IEEE802.3) But this box says its a MAU, is this different than AUI, also when it says twisted pair, does this mean that I need a striate through cable or a crossover cable?

Its a bit shameful a computer technician asking these kind of questions but I have no idea as I started on RJ45.

The other problem is I have never EVER networked an Amiga, I don't know where to start! so many people say you can network a Amiga to a PC and share the internet, sounds easy.... I see no network option from Workbench and after downloading the drivers disk, it makes even less sense as the driver disk uses a file manager like Opus.

Old 28th Feb 2005, 12:24 pm   #7
coredump
Triode

MAU = Media Attachment Unit

AUI = Attachment Unit Interface

So, a transceiver is an MAU, and the connector that connects it to the host is an AUI. As for the cable, if you connect the transceiver to a hub, then use a straight cable. If you connect the transceiver to a PC (or another transceiver), you'll need a crossover cable. Beware that some hubs have a switch to make one port a crossover port, or they may auto-switch.
Closed Thread