UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2019, 11:40 pm   #21
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Charging old alkaline batteries in the sun ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
I have played with this in the past. You need to use an asymmetric a/c waveform for this purpose, i.e. it charges on +ve half cycle and then partly discharges on the -ve one.
The hobbyist magazines used to call the technique "Dirty DC".
In its simplest form a half-wave rectifier with a resistor across it.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but there are some alkaline cells marketed with the intention that they should be recharged.

I recently bought a domestic energy monitor called "Onzo". They were given away to SSE customers before "proper" smart meters came on the scene. They use "Pure Energy" rechargeable alkalines in both the sender (*) and display unit, the former harvests its charging current from the current transformer clamp.

Allegedly, the choice of battery was made on environmental grounds, but received wisdom suggests it was a poor choice, with many complaints of battery failure and leakage.

(*) In point of fact both units contain transceivers, and both store a copy of the usage data and can sync it between themselves. It's quite an interesting device

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 28th Jul 2019 at 11:48 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:01 pm   #22
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Charging old alkaline batteries in the sun ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
....longing for charged PP3 batteries. It gets bad now to the point that I can afford new ones and just shrug but I still treat them like a nugget of gold!
I have a similar affliction. I tend to remove "spent" ones from higher current apparatus like radios/battery 'scope and allow them to live out their dotage in lower current devices like an LCR tester or smoke alarm (obviously they always fail to pass muster between 2 and 3am in that application, since they're at their coolest).
Closed Thread