UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2021, 6:05 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Identify these capacitors.

Doing a 'rolling rebuild' of my R209 receiver I've now got to the IF modules. Which, being unpluggable-from-the-radio-chassis makes them so much easier to work on.

Inside, the HT- and Screen-decouplers are these strange 0.01uF 350VW capacitors with a translucent plastic encapsulation.

I've never come across these before. Close examination suggests they are a form of waxed-paper capacitor - the pink label is definitely paper and I can see what appears to be paper-and-foil at a couple of places at the end terminations.

I'm replacing them with nice yellow MKT capacitors, but would be intrigued about your collective opinions on what might be inside these old capacitors. What does "Cat B" mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oddcaps.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	246312  
Old 21st Nov 2021, 9:51 pm   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Identify these capacitors.

They look like polystyrene to me, but a maker?? no idea. Do they leak? a good polystyrene that hasnt been overheated during soldering should last almost forever.
Old 22nd Nov 2021, 12:27 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Identify these capacitors.

I havebt yet wired one of them in series with a neon across 350V - that comes later this evening! Will report back on whether the neon flashes or not.