UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:35 pm   #161
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: What vintage equipment did you actually use today?

Yes it was Mercury in hatmaking. There was a bit of explanation on an episode of 'Bargain Hunt' this week.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 2:53 pm   #162
Refugee
Dekatron

About 10 years ago I removed a lot of old green paint from walls before restoring the ancient damp barrier in a 1901 build home.
The first lot of scrapings were bagged and sent to land fill and the second round was liquid and went down the mains drainage.
Doing it before fixing the insulation and damp avoided any dust getting kicked up.
It is all long gone now.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 11:51 pm   #163
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Hi All
This unrestored set works daily at the houseboat.
Someone fitted a trawler band switch back in the day
for retired fisherman in fleetwood....
Pip pip jm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_221634.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	180353  
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 10:20 am   #164
G4YVM David
Heptode

My T1154/ R1155 this morning.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 1:18 pm   #165
ekjdm14
Banned

Currently listening to Dark Side of The Moon on my Amstrad 5050 quad receiver through Goodmans Magnum K2 main speakers and Sony SS-E24 satellites. It's actually impressed the heck out of me for something from the AMS stable and may well find a more permanent home in the front room, displacing the more modern Technics seperates. If I can find a suitably vintage early CD player then it'll be a sure thing.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 1:39 pm   #166
PaulR
Dekatron

I have recently resurrected a Sony CDP M54 CD player and think it sounds great. It has a cool motor activated fade control with a little red light on it. Makes it much easier to match with a vintage amp that has a rather sensitive AUX input.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 4:38 pm   #167
electronicskip
Nonode

last night we watched Waterworld on my Pioneer LD-V43000 Laserdisc player coupled to my Polaroid UHD tv.
The quality was excellent for a laserdisc on a modern day TV .
Old 15th Apr 2019, 5:12 pm   #168
Sinewave
Octode

Listening to my Mission 761 speakers.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 12:23 pm   #169
monaro0162
Pentode

I use the spare bedroom as an office / workshop / entertainment room. One side is the digital side where I have a PC, DTV Satellite and terrestrial TV receivers, a CD/DVD/Blueray player, a widescreen LED TV, a Roberts Stream 93i for DAB and internet radio, and a 5.1 speaker system.

On the other side is the analogue side where I have various pieces of 1970’s hifi undergoing restoration or testing, and a Sony VO-2630 Umatic VCR and a 10” CRT BVM. DTV output can be routed over to the analogue side of the room using composite video and phono into a distribution amp, and the output of the Roberts can be routed over to the analogue side using phono. I’m also able to rebroadcast the Roberts output on to the FM band using a small RF modulator. I have an FM dipole in the loft and amplifier for FM reception. This means I’m able to listen to 6music on the FM band on any of the old receivers that I have.

Currently on the analogue side in service are:

AKAI 8080 Receiver
Trio KA-5700 amplifier
Arcam T61 tuner
Arcam CD72 CD player
B&W DM701 speakers
Revox A77 reel to reel
Akai GXC-46D cassette

The analogue side of my room gets far more use that than the digital side. I get as much pleasure from knowing the amount of work that I have put into the equipment, as I do from listening to the source material itself! I regularly record The Craig Charles Funk and Soul show onto reel-to-reel at 7.5ips for play back during the week. Similarly Dads Army will be recorded using the Umatic, I’m still amazed by the picture quality that Umatic offered. Of course all of this could be accomplished by the press of a few buttons on the digital side, but where is the fun in that! My wife thinks I’m mad, but you lot understand, don’t you?
Old 19th Apr 2019, 2:41 pm   #170
ekjdm14
Banned

Listening to YT music through the Gram input of the bedroom GEC 5645 AM/VHF radio. First time I've used the Gram terminals. And like you Monaro, (Holden?) I could've spent 2 minutes connecting to a Bluetooth speaker to listen or 10 minutes making up a patch lead from stereo 3.5mm jack to mono banana plugs & have less fidelity/volume etc but I know which one makes me feel the best...

Besides, I believe the EL84 runs more efficiently with the volume wide open so I'm doing my bit for the environment too haha

EDIT- I've just looked over at the Ekco A320 on the windowsill and had an epiphany, a little more time with the "soddering iron" and I can experience glorious stereo by rewiring my lead and connecting that as a "left channel" on the missus' side of the room! I'm sure she'd love it.

Last edited by ekjdm14; 19th Apr 2019 at 2:48 pm.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 2:52 pm   #171
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Today I have been listening to various 78 records on my 1946 Collaro Microgram while typing letters on a 1923 Remmington Home Portable typewriter.

Trevor.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 8:37 am   #172
Herald1360
Dekatron

My wooden toolbox (ex 1930s (?) thermocouple RMS voltmeter box) and some of my tools in it at a Repair Cafe and the 1970 series 2A I used to take them there.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Apr 2019, 9:48 am   #173
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Right now...Bush BS35 in the dining room and a Pye P45 in the kitchen both tuned to a pantry transmitter playing Radio 6.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 20th Apr 2019, 12:56 pm   #174
electronicskip
Nonode

Right now also . late 70s early 80s Steepletone multiband radio listening to Aircraft and tower over the road at the local airport.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 3:00 pm   #175
ekjdm14
Banned

Currently enjoying some low bitrate YT-music playing Eagles through the A320. Not an audiophool by any stretch (my left ear is best, right ear ******** from glue-ear and scarred Eustachian tube from childhood) but music does sound better through a valve radio even when it's got a new coupling cap to ruin it's distortion...
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:51 pm   #176
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Currently in the garden playing with chickens with a Tefifon player playing 50,s german band music on the patio table.

4 hours of non-stop “Stuttgart trumpet corps” anyone? more interesting Tefi sound bands available!

Christopher Capener
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:59 pm   #177

Using big bang era atoms (well 300k years after) to sit up and listen to the radio.

Old 21st Apr 2019, 11:46 am   #178
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Nothing vintage in everyday use here.

My Sony ICF-C793L clock-radio dates from early 2000's at a guess and still works fine. Two separate alarms are useful and it is much easier to set than current ones with DAB and fiddly buttons etc. I bought it new so don't consider it being over 15 years old.

I also have a JVC HR-J665 video recorder from the same era, also bought new, which is working fine. This was in fairly regular use playing prerecorded tapes until fairly recently but I am now using a Philips VR840 of similar vintage that I bought on eBay, which plays worn tapes better.

I did have a Bosch dishwasher dating probably from the 1990s which worked fine, but I left that behind by agreement when I moved recently because there is a built-in one in my new flat.

My Sharp microwave is 10 years old now. Everything else in regular use was bought within the last 10 years.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th May 2019, 2:18 pm   #179
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Using big bang era atoms (well 300k years after) to sit up and listen to the radio.
Speaking of Atoms (and the Mother's hearts thus constructed), currently enjoying Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast on the A320
Old 9th May 2019, 8:55 pm   #180
rontech
Heptode

I regularly use my ( obsolete ) Sony minidisc MDS JE520's ( I have two of 'em ) To compile old 78's into 20/24 track selections. I play something back most days.

The remote enables a direct access to any track via a 25 button keypad