UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2019, 11:25 am   #101
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Turntable Stroboscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyG View Post
Regarding the perceived brightness of the LED, there's a phenomenon whereby a short duration flash is seen as being brighter than one of longer duration, even of the the same actual brightness. It's too long now since I was an optometry student, and I've gone off in altogether another direction since, so the details now elude me, but I'd expect a 208μs flash to be comfortably in the relevant range.
G.
Thanks GroovyG - another optometric phenomenon I've learned about today!

Looking back at my Post #60 above where I did a quick calculation that we want the LED to be on 1/16th of the time which is 3333μs divided by 16 (or multiplied by 0.0625) = 208.3125μs.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 10:23 pm   #102
GroovyG
Pentode

Default Re: Turntable Stroboscope

Of course, flashes at 300hz are well above the eye's critical fusion frequency - that at which individual flashes cease to be distinguishable - which itself varies according to stimulus brightness and retinal location. (Thus, you'll have noticed that the flickering end
- 50hz at the ends - of an old fluorescent tube is much more apparent in peripheral vision than when looked at directly.)
Closed Thread