UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2006, 5:54 pm   #1
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default Auroras back in stock

Hi guys,

I just noticed Darryl has more Aurora in stock now. Boy these must have been popular.

The link to the info site is :

http://converter.home.comcast.net/

Cheers

Andi

PS. I am no way related to Darryl or his company just thought the info would be useful

Last edited by Dave Moll; 4th Jun 2007 at 7:47 pm. Reason: update URL link
Old 19th Jun 2006, 10:35 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Auroras back in stock

These converters are almost cheap enough to make me consider buying a 405 line TV to restore... but please don't tell my wife

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st Jun 2006, 10:42 pm   #3
molochkartovski
Tetrode

Not only cheap, gives excellent results as well. I'm thinking of getting another so I can have channels 1&9 again. Just like when I was a kid living in the London area.

Richard
Old 28th Jun 2006, 8:08 pm   #4
brianc
Rest in Peace

Hi all
Now is obviously the time to order your Aurora - no waiting at all. I made a PayPal payment in the morning and got a tracking number for the shipment later the same day! Hopefully, HM Customs will not get their hands on it!
Cheers
brian
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 11:57 am   #5
Colourstar
Octode

Question Re: Auroras back in stock

Can anyone who's ordered and received an Aurora give an idea of the delivery time to the UK? Mine left the US on June 23rd but so far nothing has arrived here at my stately pile in dear old Blighty. I'm not sure how to track the progress of the package after it's left the USA. Any ideas?
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 12:07 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

My first one took about a month. This is exceptional but it shows what can happen. Darryl and I both thought it was lost and he sent me another one. Then the first one turned up! Normally about 7 days. AFAIK Darryl insures the packages so if they are totally lost it gets sorted out.
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 1:10 pm   #7
molochkartovski
Tetrode

Mine took about 6 weeks to get here, I thought it had got lost but it made it in the end

Richard
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 11:44 pm   #8
tubesrule
Hexode

Richard,
This is unfortunately the record for slow delivery! So far a couple have taken 4 weeks, but none this long. The Post Office claims 4-6 days in transit, and they appear to leave my local PO in a day or two. Typically they arrive in about 2 weeks. This seems like yours may have been misplaced for a while.

Colourstar,
You should have recieved an email with a link to track your package. I check this option when I send the package out. If for some reason you did not receive this email, PM me and I'll give you the tracking number.

I strive to get these out the same or next day. I have a few of each unit packed up and ready to go. I did run out of customs enevelopes recently which put me behind a couple of days, but I have more now.

Darryl
Old 5th Jul 2006, 1:42 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc
Hi all
I must be lucky - or something! I ordered & paid for an Aurora on 26th June. Darryl shipped it the same day & I have just picked it up from Parcelforce Worldwide. That's just 10 days. I was also lucky with customs. There was no duty/VAT to pay - only the Parcelforce clearance charge (+VAT) which came to under £20. This may have something to do with the goods description "standards converter for antique TV" which is absolutely accurate but non-commercial - thanks Darryl.
Cheers
Brian
Was the value correctly stated on the customs declaration?

Paul
Old 5th Jul 2006, 2:04 pm   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

This thread has an extensive discussion of import duty, particularly relating to the Aurorae. For reasons none of us understand around £20 seems to be what ParcelFarce charge. Most of it is their fee for collecting the VAT. For insurance reasons Darryl (and because he's honest!) always declares the full value of $260.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ghlight=import
Old 5th Jul 2006, 6:11 pm   #11
molochkartovski
Tetrode

I was unlucky with the time it took to get here but lucky with the cutoms then £10-66 I paid

Richard
Old 5th Jul 2006, 10:22 pm   #12
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
Was the value correctly stated on the customs declaration?

Paul
Hi Paul

Unfortunately, I disposed of the packaging today & the dustbin was emptied today so I have no idea of Darryl's declaration. As Jeffery said, I'm sure that it was correct. As a matter of interest, this does raise a question of whether the value is the retail price or the cost of replacement - especially when the vendor is insureing the goods!
Cheers

Brian
Old 6th Jul 2006, 2:25 am   #13
tubesrule
Hexode

Brian brings up an excellent point. Right now it's costing me $10-$20 for shipping depending on where it goes, $10-$15 in Paypal fees, and about another $5 or so in incidentals. I guess the customs form should at least show this lower value, however what is the implication of showing a replacement value?

Darryl
Old 6th Jul 2006, 7:23 am   #14
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

In theory, VAT is due on the declared value. In practice it's a lottery. The VAT has never been more than the normal rate of 17.5% of declared value and often much less. The service charge levied by the carrier varies from £3.50 to £13.50.
Old 11th Jul 2006, 10:05 pm   #15
tubesrule
Hexode

Unfortunately I'm once again out of stock. I will be placing an order this week and will know in a few days what the expected delivery date will be.

Darryl
Old 12th Jul 2006, 7:23 am   #16
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule
Unfortunately I'm once again out of stock. I will be placing an order this week and will know in a few days what the expected delivery date will be.

Darryl
How much are soled?
Darius
Old 12th Jul 2006, 2:55 pm   #17
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi Darius,
That was the second batch of 25 units. I need to build them in lots of 25 to keep the costs down, but do not know if I should build 25 or 50 this time.

Darryl
Old 12th Jul 2006, 5:28 pm   #18
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule
Hi Darius,
That was the second batch of 25 units. I need to build them in lots of 25 to keep the costs down, but do not know if I should build 25 or 50 this time.

Darryl
Oh, I thaught your first batch was a 100 units. I am sure you will sell more than a hundred in the next two years. It takes some month until everyone knowes that it is there, others will buy a second one and so on.

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 12th Jul 2006, 8:04 pm   #19
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeurope
others will buy a second one and so on.
I think this is right, at the current price, the market will have expanded. For example, I have an old Pineapple based converter (with modifications). It resides in a rather unsightly 18" rack. In due course I would like to buy an Aurora for use with my restored TV's in the living area of the house. The 18" rack can then be relegated to the workshop area.

I would never have considered this “extravagance” if I had to buy another converter at the price asked for previous generations of equipment
Old 12th Jul 2006, 8:09 pm   #20
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

It's amazing how many folks have talked about buying more than 1. Some want to re-create the authentic BBC/ITV experience, others for different areas in the house. For the most valuable sets it's just about plausible to have 1 per set.
Closed Thread